Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I started the keto diet about 8 weeks ago and went into

I started the keto...

I started the keto diet about 8 weeks ago and went into Ketosis. After about 3 weeks of walking in the evening air about 40 degrees I became sick. My stomach initially hurt and I was coughing a ton. The phylum was white or clear in color and I was coughing a lot. At the time I guess I had a slight dry throat but never a fever. I now have kind of a sore throat deep down and a primarily non productive cough. I do however have some nasal congestion especially in the morning after sleep and I could up whitish yellow mucus strands. I am kind of tired and get winded easier than before. I also have been off the keto diet for 4 weeks and my stomach feels better but I still have the cough. Thanks for any help you can give me

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the symptoms? Do you have a fever?

About 8 weeks and no fever, please read above

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have benign thyroid nodules

3/23/2018
Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** am US trained, Board Certified with 30 years of patient experience. Please allow me a moment to review your question.

I'm sorry that you have a cough. From your description, it sounds like sinus congestion with a post nasal drip. May I suggest you take over the counter Zyrtec D or Claritin D (antihistamine and decongestant combination). This should relieve your cough and nasal congestion. A Keto Diet is good but you must double your normal intake of water so that the high protein clears your system and doesn't affect your kidneys. Also, if you go back on this type of diet, take a stool softener such as Colace to eliminate the possibility of constipation which can cause stomach pain.

I hope I have addressed your concerns. Have I?

Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have.

I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned your 5 star rating today.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you.

I have read online that when you have a cough and sore throat and no fever it could be a symptom of thyroid cancer. When I get a cough or cold I always feel it more because of the nodules. The last time I had them checked was 3 or more years ago. Do you think this cough could be that. I am surprised I have had the symptoms for 8 weeks

Thyroid cancer has a very low probability and even though it can cause a sore throat (when swallowing) and maybe a dry cough, but it will not cause nasal congestion. Please try the Claritin or Zyrtec for 5 days. If you don't see a major change then schedule a visit to your doctor. Benign thyroid nodules rarely if ever convert to cancer.

Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor