Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My son started off with chapped sore lips and pain above his…

My son started off...

My son started off with chapped sore lips and pain above his lips. We figured it was windburn, however, now his lops have gotten swollen and puffy on the sides and he is in a lot of discomfort/pain. We've tried all sorts of remedies with no relief. Please Advise?

Doctor's Assistant: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?

He started complaining last Sunday after being outside on a cold windy day playing basketball for approx 3-4 hours

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

My son does suffer from anxiety

3/23/2018
Connie Pennington

Hello, I am Dr. Pennington. I would like to help.

How old is your son? Does he take any medications?

My son 14 years old. He takes Lexapro 10 mg. Allergy pill and Vitamin D3 400 iu every morning. I have also tried giving him Aleve for the swelling. We tried Vasoline, AloeVera, Blistex, Coconut Oil.... cool milk compress....

Goodness.

Lexapro can cause angioedema. It is not that uncommon, even after years of use it can happen.

Does he have any airway issues/breathing issues/asthma?

Are we sure that the causative event seems to be windburn? Does he have any food allergies? Dander/dust allergies?

That's interesting. He is allergic to dust mites. No known food allergies.He is doesn't have asthma, but, is always congested. I just assumed it was windburn/chapped lips??

You are probably right, but it could be multi-factorial and one thing compounds another.

Wind-burn, plus medication sensitivity, plus allergies are enough to cause lip swelling.

He may need a prescription antihistamine or corticosteroid to help him through.

I am a little worried about the SSRI, it might causing some of his symptoms.

Does he see a pediatric psychiatrist?

If it were just chapped lips, the home remedies should work. That's what has me concerned about the medication Lexapro.

I am happy to assist you with any other questions.

Connie Pennington
Okay, I will follow up with his pediatrician and mention the Lexapro issue. Thank you for your help.

You are very welcome!