Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I had an abdominal aortic aneurysm repaired by mesh wrap 11…

Customer Question
I had an abdominal...

I had an abdominal aortic aneurysm repaired by mesh wrap 11 years ago No problems with it, but for the first time since the surgery I am planning to fly and the question is, Can I safely fly in an airplane?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

I have a primary doctor and a cardiologist, but no thoracic checkup in all this time. I am on metoprolol, lipitor, nifedipine, diuretic, acid reflux med, metformin, niaspan,ramipiril, two 80mg aspirin ea day, and levothyroxin

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
3/23/2018
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 4 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

The answer is yes.

The modern aeroplanes have fixed pressure which change slightly during landing and take off.

Thus it is safe to fly.

Having said that; since your check up has not been done for long; it would be appropriate to have a look at abdominal and thoracic aorta by a colored doppler study for the caution. I am sure it would be good but there may be new aneurysm development in 11 years, which may be ruled out.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Thank you

You are very welcome.

" I sincerely hope that I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Stay blessed.