Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I just got some lab results that I haven't discussed yet.

I just got some...

I just got some lab results that I haven't discussed yet. BUN is 25 and BUN/Creatinine Ratio is 30 What does that mean?

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

Mainly Fatigue Also had high EBV and Cholesterol apparently

Doctor's Assistant: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?

Don't know about father's side at all. Mom's side had some. Of note -She had Addison's. I've had low immune lately catching the flu and several infections with throat and ear

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Previous EBV and Mono. Stent in Liver Duct. Previous Ulcerative Colitis and Ovarian Tumor. Mom had Melanoma, Ovarian and Liver Cancer. That is probably TMI. Sorry.

3/23/2018
Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** am US trained, Board Certified with 30 years of patient experience. Please allow me a moment to review your question.

Your BUN is a little high indicating you need more daily fluids. Creatinine is involved with kidney function and is probably normal. The ratio of BUN to Creatinine at 30 indicates a slight dehydration, not any problem with your kidneys. Once you have Ebstein Barr Viral infection, your blood tests for IgG will always be positive. This indicates that you had the virus and this is a normal finding. Your fatigue could be a result of anemia, stress and medication side effects. Have you discussed this with your doctor?

I don't have insurance and don't often get to a doctor. This the the first lab work I have been able to get in a long time. The only other things that look out of range are the Cholesterol numbers and I don't know how bad they are either. LDL 205 HDL 68 Triglycerides 193 Total 312 Just wondering about that and the BUN and EBV but know not much can be done with the EBV anyway.

Thank you for this additional information.

Cholesterol: The numbers that matters are the LDL and HDL. Your LDL should be 100 or less. Your HDL at 68 is great indicating that you exercise and have good muscle mass. Your Triglycerides are a little above normal (normal up to 150), but not at a level to cause concern. May I suggest you cut back on red meat and increase eating Salmon, Chicken without the skin and fresh fruits and vegetables and whole grain products. This alone will help to bring your numbers down to normal. To reduce your BUN/Creatinine level drink at least 64 ounces of water daily. With EBV, rest when you get tired. There is no specific treatment except exercise, rest and good eating habits.

I hope I have addressed your concerns. Have I?

Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have.

I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned your 5 star rating today.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you.

Thank you and have a great day. I wanted to be sure that I didn't sign up for the monthly charge - I'm pretty sure I did not click that - is there a way to know for sure?

You are welcome.

You can ask customer service which is available on your page.

Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor