Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I've had a lung infection of E. ESBL and we have been trying…

Hi, I've had a...

Hi, I've had a lung infection of E. Coli ESBL and we have been trying to fight it for over 2 years. I'm now on intravenous merepunem for 6 weeks. My question is what does a +4 or a +1 before the E.coli description on the results of a sputum test mean?

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

Definitely loss of appetite but no fever or rash.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had a fever? Do you have any respiratory symptoms?

I have tons of mucus and use two inhalers. sometimes I get out of breath but I think its because I had the lower right lobe of my lungs removed. I was just in the hospital and my oxygen levels were 96% on average

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

My doctor knows pretty much all. I've been seeing him 6 years or so and tthe e.coli ESBL showed up about 2 years ago

3/23/2018
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

Hello Doctor Saleem.

It basically tells you the number or load of bacteria . +4 means heavy load of infection and +1 means just detectable and not too much

Do you have any more queries?

Let me know if you have any more queries.

Please reward credit for the consult by clicking 5 stars in rating corner of your page if you are satisfied.

Stay blessed.

Regard

Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor
Thank you, ***** ***** years my description has always been +4 but after 2 weeks on merepunum the latest sputum test said +1, so I guess I'm getting better finally. I have a month more to go one this antibiotic and maybe we can get rid of it.

Yes exactly your infection is responding well to the antibiotic there. I hope you feel better really soon.