Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I've got like pain in my left side, I guess you'd call it…

Customer Question
I've got like pain...

I've got like pain in my left side , I guess you'd call it flank are near abdomen. It goes up my side to chest and around my bellys circumference

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the issue? In general, how has your health been lately?

I was at hospital but it was a long wait but it's been over 16 hours so it is concerning me

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I took medicine for an ulcer a few years back, I do drink more than most and right now my urine is cloudy and hurts to pee

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
3/23/2018
Doctor: Dr Josh, Doctor replied 4 months ago
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor

Hello!

My name is***** to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily. Thank you for your patience.

Thanks

Age and gender?

On a grade of 1 to 10 how would you rate the pain?

Any problem with bowel movements?

Waiting for your reply…

Thanks

23 years old female.
I've had bowl movement problems for five years at least. But I also drink more than most probably 3 bears a day .. the pain fluctuate from a 5-10 on and off all day and has been consistent on the left side and sometimes move to the right .. feels kinda gassy and bloated idk it just hurts ,
Hurts to breathe in and push in on my.tummy
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 4 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA. I see that you have requested a new professional so ill quickly answer this question for you.

The fact that it is hurting when you breathe in and there is pain on pressing down on the abdomen means that you have abdominal tenderness. Abdominal tenderness is a sign that there could be inflammation of the organs inside the abdomen. It can also indicate inflammation of the lining of the abdomen which is known as the peritoneum. This is why whenever we see abdominal tenderness we ALWAYS go for a xray of the abdomen along with an ultrasound. The location of the pain on the left side can be due to a couple of things, the first one is that it could be the ulcer which you had in the past. The ulcer could have worsened or even perforated making a small hole in the stomach which would explain the severe pain. In this situation, immediate emergency management would be required.

The second possibility is that the pain could be due to the kidneys which are also located in this region of the abdomen. Kidney stones or even a kidney infection would cause this sort of pain which would worsen over time. Again the ultrasound would be diagnostic in this situation and if necessary a CT scan would be needed as well.

Given your female gender, we should also consider ovarian cysts or even ruptured ovarian cysts which can cause this sort of severe pain. Additionally, in some cases, ovarian torsion should also be considered. Torsion is a surgical emergency in which the ovary twists around itself compromising the blood supply. if left untreated it can cause the complete loss of the ovary. Lastly, it can also be due to pelvic inflammatory disease which is a condition in which the female genital organs would be infected by bacteria or fungi. This would again be diagnosed on the ultrasound and a pelvic examination. The treatment would be with antibiotics.

But given the tenderness, it is extremely important that you proceed to the ER. The abdominal tenderness should NOT be ta***** *****ghtly and should be evaluated ASAP in the ER. when you get back to the ER tell the nurse that it hurts to push down on the abdomen or that you have abdominal tenderness which is worsening and that should speed up the process.

Do you have any more questions?

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Ok I'm going in like three hours when I have a ride I'm scared it's serious because it hasn't gone away

It is serious enough to warrant an ER visit which is why I strongly advised going to the ER. It can be managed in the ER quite effectively and since you are still able to walk around and perform your basic activities it means that it has not progressed enough to cause major issues.

Do you have any more questions?