Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My father is 80. His feet and ankles swell up and pretty…

My father is 80. His...
My father is 80. His feet and ankles swell up and pretty much stay like that now. They also turn a light shade of red. They get worse during the day, but look a lot better when he wakes up in the morning. Any idea?
3/23/2018
Dr.Anil
Dr.Anil, Doctor

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you. I am a board-certified consultant with over 30 years of experience. I’m reviewing your question and reply you soon.

Please provide more information regarding your question so I can help you in detail.

Associated pain, tenderness in the affected area?

Any medical history of Diabetes, Hypertension, etc?

Is he taking any medications?

Since how long have you been suffering from?

Any recent investigations or blood work?

Waiting for your response.
Thanks

It’s been several months on and off a little worse and a little better.
Congestive heart failure. A little tenderness. He is on blood thinner(xerelto).

Sorry for late reply and inconvenience.

Thanks for all these additional information.

I understand your concern.

Well as you describe, his symptoms are associated peripheral venous insufficiency.

And he should elevate and do gentle stretching or exercise of his legs most of the time.

Limit his salt intake.

Hydrate himself with plenty of fluids.

If his redness, tenderness is getting worse then color doppler study of lower limbs can be advised.

Otherwise, at his old age, some swelling is not worrisome if his blood pressure, pulse and other vitals are fine.

His PTI- INR should be checked while taking Xarelto.

Let me know if you have any further query so we can discuss it thoroughly in every aspect.

Please use the REPLY/SEND BUTTON to reply back to me. It’s requested to avoid poor/bad rating.

Please provide a positive rating by clicking on 5 stars.

It’s my pleasure to continue this conversation until you satisfy.

Waiting for your response.

Thanks.

Dr.Anil
Dr.Anil, Doctor