Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Possibly, if you're a pulmunologist. The question is more…

Customer Question
Possibly, if you're a...

Possibly, if you're a pulmunologist

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

The question is more about the test results

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Some mild asthma

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
3/23/2018
Doctor: Dr Uzair, Doctor replied 4 months ago
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

What are the results?

FVC 78% predicted (LLN 70% so it was still tagged normal) with FEV1 90% predicted so the FEV1/FVC ratio is pretty high. This is possibly restrictive lungs disease profile but after bronchodilator the FVC went up to 88%. The question is if low FVC in fibrosis or other restrictive diseases is so easily reversible with bronchodilator?
Had an Xray today as this PFT scared me but Xray shows no signs of fibrosis so far
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 4 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

This is Dr. David

FVC of 78% is not low and doesn't mean you have fibrosis.

your effort plays a big part in the results of your pulmonary function test.

you could have asthma or reactive airways which are openned up with the bronchodilator

spring allergies can cause reactive airways which open up with a bronchodilator.

Yeah but the FEV1/FVC was well above predicted (some 114%), I have also sort of short breath that I dont recall from asthmatic experience, totally different feeling. It all started beginning of Jan when I moved to a new apartment and suddenly my chest became stiff and breathless, I moved out but still did not heal. I have asthma history and this sort of feeling is very different.It is true however that the machine I blew in was very uncomfortable, I had to sit and did not feel like I inspire the full

do you have bad anxiety symptoms? this can cause shortness of breath sensations.

I am not really prone to anxiety however I am in a rather difficult life moment. Still, I wonder if there is any possibility that my FVC decreases because of diaphragm or other muscle spasm. Also, in the bloodwork I had today there is only one abnormal thing which is Immature Granulocytes at 0.7% - can that be related to sort of pulmonary infection?

no, your FC doesn't point to lung disease or muscle spasms.

0.7% IG is ok and normal as well.

that is not dangerous

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 Stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up or down see the ratings area)
You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Last one. The apartment this all started in tested positive for low yet significant count of Aspergillus in the air which came from the demolition in the adjacent room. Can I have this problem? Would it cause such PFT?

there is mold and aspergilus all around us, in the woods, in the kitchen or bathroom. where-ever there is moisture, there is mold

mold can irritate the lungs.

but I would not worry about your PFTs.

and would not cause low PFTs which can be reversed by a bronchodilator.

you may benefit from taking daily allergy medications like allegra and a steroid nasal spray which could help decrease allergy inflammation in your lungs

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com