Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

What causes cerebral vasospasm and how can it be prevented?

I have all these symptoms...
What causes cerebral vasospasm and how can it be prevented? I have all these symptoms and the doctor suggested it might be that.Cerebral vasospasmWeakness on one side of the body
Confusion
Difficulty speaking
Vision problems
Difficulty walking
A severe headache of unknown cause
Dizziness
3/23/2018
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

how old are you?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
66 female

what meds do you take?

do you have migraines?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have had migraines with visual auras for 30 years

Bingo

that is it

migraines are a form of vasospasm

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I take meds for blood pressure and blood thinning

Ok

you have to prevent the migraines

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Wow. It presents like a stroke and I keep getting TPA but since my 6 strokes three years ago the call them TIAs

list all your meds

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Lisinopril amlodipine Plavix aspirin

Ok.

I think you need to be on cialis.

I'm not kidding

it dilates blood vessels and will prevent the spasm

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question).

We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I started having migraines after a concussion. Are they related?

yes. absolutely

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Wow.

yes

Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Doesn’t cialis cause headaches?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will ask my doctor about cialis. If it stops the TIAs then we have a solution

No it should help in you because of the spasm

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. Maybe you figured out what eluded the doctors for three years

:) :) :)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will let you know if it works

Ok thank you!!!

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I just had another episode for the past hour and 15 minutes. It started when I lifted a very heavy waste basket to empty in the trash can. I immediately felt weak, dizzy, unbalanced. Throat was weak and speech labored. Then I couldn’t move my right leg or use my right arm vey well. My blood pressure was 172/90/76. I did not have a headache or aura. After one hour and 15 minutes everything completely resolved. What do you think that was? It seemed to be brought on by heavy physical exertion.

I would be nervous

could it be cardiac?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
How would I know if it was cardiac?

stress test

go to ER

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I’m having a stress test in a month. Should I go to the Er now? The symptoms are completely gone

Yes I would

I don't like the symptoms

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Won’t they laugh at me because I have no symptoms now? Or would they be able to detect something with the heart after it’s over?

No they wouldn't

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I had the same thing a week and a half ago, but it lasted three hours. I went to the Er and they called a code stroke and gave me TPA. But the ct scan and mri were negative for a new stroke. EKG and echo were normal. They called it a tia.

That is very interesting
I would get a cardiac workup to be sure though

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Might this have been another tia? It certainly was not a stroke because it spontaneously resolved

I don't think so

I am more concerned about cardiac

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
What would be done in a cardiac workup?

stress test

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Well I have one scheduled for April 24th. That was the soonest they could do it as an outpatient. Do you thing there is any risk in waiting until the morning?

that should be ok

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Good. I will call the doctor in the morning and let him know

ok

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I had another one today at work. Went to urgent care. They sent me by ambulance to Er. Called code stroke. Offered me TPA. I refused. They are admitting me. I had an echo. It showed diastolic dysfunction with reversed e/a and ef 68%

Ok good

you need this worked up

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I will let you know what they find

ok thanks

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I had a ct and CTA. Both did not show any new problems. I am going to have an mri today.
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor