Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Oops! My left leg and ankle often swell and I am starting to…

Good evening, Doctor's Assistant:...

Good evening,

Doctor's Assistant: Hello. How can I help?

Doctor's Assistant: Hello. How can I help?

Oops! My left leg and ankle often swell and I am starting to notice a difference in size compared to my right. I changed insurance and can’t go to my previous physician . She asked if I stopped breathing at night and my boyfriend said quite often. What should I do, how serious is this??

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

Yes, swelling. I started a second job and I’m on my feet a lot. I also drink a couple of glasses of wine at night

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Pulmonary valvular stenosis. Had gestational diabetes, and pre-eclampsia. I’m 51 years old. Fairly active. Oh, plantar facilities on and off

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/23/2018
Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)

Greetings,
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. Su S
I will try my best to help you.
I will answer in a moment/request for further information.

Since when are you having the swelling?
Do you have any other symptom? redness, pain?
Did you take any medicine?

It’s been on and off for a year but seems to be getting worse and noticeable. My stomach has been beloaded too. Not sure if there is any connection. I do have high blood pressure but take meds to keep it under control.

Thank you for the input.
I am very sorry for your symptoms.
The swelling of legs, ankles, feet is usually due to collection of fluid.
Typically it develops in these parts of the body due to gravity.
There are different causes of swollen feet and ankles.
Prolonged standing can be a cause.
Other causes can be the diseases of the heart, kidney, liver.
Hypertension can cause heart issues.
Here there can be accumulation of fluid in abdomen too.
Obstruction in the veins, venous insufficiency, clot can cause swelling.
Those usually cause swelling in one leg.
Please try to keep the legs elevated while taking rest.
I would advise to consult a doctor to have an examination.
After examination he can decide whether to take tests.
He can prescribe water pills or diuretic, if necessary.
I hope this information will be helpful.
If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
Your satisfaction is my goal.
If you are happy with my answer please click on 5 star rating so that I can get the credit for helping you.
Wish you healthy life.
Regards.

Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)