Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

What's the best 1st line therpy to treat h Pylori. I was…

What's the best 1st...

What's the best 1st line therpy to treat h Pylori

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

I was just prescribed doxycycline, Metronidazole, omeprazole, and bismuth

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I was also diagnosed with a fatty liver and diverticulosis

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/23/2018
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

In areas, where clarithromycin resistance is not prevalent (<15 %), the first line treatment is:

Clarithromycin triple therapy consisting of a PPI (omeprazole), clarithromycin, and amoxicillin or metronidazole for 14 days.

In areas with a known resistance to macrolides like Clarithromycin, the first line therapy is:

Bismuth quadruple therapy consisting of a PPI (Omeprazole), bismuth, tetracycline (Doxycycline), and a nitroimidazole (metronidazole) for 10–14 days.

That is the therapy you have received from your doctor.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5-stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Can I use natural therapies along with this medication?

Yes, there is no harm in trying alternative treatment and natural remedies.

Hope this helps.

Please do leave a 5-star rating for the service.

Best wishes.

Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
I live in New Mexico, USA. Is this considered an area of known resistance to clarathromycin

Yes, there is a 38.1 to 64 percent resistance to macrolides there. Thanks for the rating.

Have a good one!

Can I take digestive enzymes and a probiotics while taking this medication?

Yes you can take them.