Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Stabbing pain in lower left ribs and abdomen. It began in…

Stabbing pain in lower...

Stabbing pain in lower left ribs and abdomen.

Doctor's Assistant: When did the pain begin? Have you used any medication for it?

It began in january and ibuprofen

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about the pain?

Yes

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/22/2018
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

how old are you?

are you male or female?

pain below the left lower ribs often is due to gastritis inflammation of the stomach, often from poor diet and excessive stomach acid production.

certain foods like spicy foods, tomato sauces, fried foods, fast foods, alcohol, black pepper, sodas can cause more stomach acid.

stomach acid reducing agents like zantac, prilosec can help decrease stomach acid

improving your diet can help as well

Hi, I have been getting stabbing, aching pain in this area and around to my back sometimes, also feels like its my abdomen sometimes. My blood work was fine and xray showed constipation. I went 2 weeks without it and or came back. Im 37 and female.

I see

have you tried stomach acid reducing medications like zantac, maalox, mylanta, prilosec to see if they help?

do you have any in your home?

ive tried them, the don't help. I'm worried about colon cancer? Also maybe a blockage. My anxiety is horrible over this, that's all I'm focused on and its the first thing I think and in the morning. Its making me depressed.
One Dr said shingles with no rash and another muscular. but I don't think either, its been so long with this pain

we don't really see colon cancer in young patients your age.

constipation can cause pain there

diverticulosis can cause pain there.

what stomach acid reducing medications have you tried?

what is your height and weight?

are you on treatment for bad anxiety symptoms?

I've tried pepcid complete. I've had treatment I'm the past yes. I was doing great until these symptoms started. I do anything during the day in fear of feeling the pain or just dying from a heart attack. The pain worries me its my heart but I honestly don't have any risk factors. Im 5'6" and 168lbs

do you have constipation? small hard bits of stool? large hard balls of stool?

Usually balls clumped together, sometimes half my bowel movement will be clumped together balls and the other half of it soft, but xray showed the whole colon was full. I've always suffered from it. But noticed it got worse after I stopped eating yogurt or nursing. I quit both around the same time.

it sounds like you are badly constipated and this is causing your pain

you have to fix your constipation or else you will continue to have pain.

you need to use a laxative and drink plenty of water and fluids and eat some prunes to help you get rid of all of that stool in your colon

and then you have to use laxatives and prunes regularly to keep you regular

and eat more fruits and vegetables.

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Will probiotics help with this? I Dan a bottle of magnesium citrate today but want to start probiotics soon If they are safe.
drank

you can take probitoics but you still have to take laxatives and drink lots of water and