Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I went to the doctor for a surgical consult for pain in my…

I went to the...

I went to the doctor for a surgical consult for pain in my knee and instead he drained it and immediately upon viewing the fluid suggested that he thought I have lyme disease. Blood work came back negative but Absolute neutrophils were high at 13809, white blood cell count 15.8, sed rate by modified westergren 34 and c-reactive protein is high at 53.5. if not lyme disease what could it be?

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

Swelling in my knees.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I had a bug bite this summer on my left arm. It was extremely itchy and started with a half moon below the first spot, healed and then popped up again and again up my arm to the shoulder. I mean crazy itchy! did 2 rounds of steroids and it finally went away

3/22/2018
Edgar Rubio Villegas

Hello, I´m Dr. Rubio

Welcome a JustAnswer and thank you for your question.

Please give me a minute to review your question.

Please could you indicate the following information?

How old are you?

Do you suffer from any illness?

Have you taken any medication?

How long do you have with this symptoms?

Is the swelling on both knees?

57 year old female, no illness, no meds. Right Knee has bothered me for a while so i went for a consult. Swelled up during the summer. swelling on right knee found in mri
recently on steroids and antibiotics because of upper respiratory infection.

when you had this infectious process?

off steroids for 2 weeks

Do you have the results of the MRI?

found cartilage floating behind my knee cap with fluid behind the knee cap

ok.

Do you have a history of arthritis or in the family?

my mom has arthritis in both knees

Please, allow me a moment while I write your answer.

I appreciate the waiting time.

Dear *****ient, due to the characteristics of the articular fluid, it is impressive to see an articular fluid of osteoarthritis, this fluid can be produced by injuries inside the knee in the cartilage generating this increase of fluid.
The main cause may be a traumatic injury or overuse.
But in your case it should be ruled out because of your history of rheumatoid arthritis, which makes you more susceptible to these changes.
It is probable that his right knee is the dominant one, this increases its usefulness and its demand and for that reason he could have made some movement that demanded of his knee generating this inflammatory process.
I suggest you do an X-ray.
begin rehabilitation and physical rest, by improving the muscular condition of your knee it will have greater stability and therefore will not swell or accumulate fluid.

Do you have any doubt?

If you have any query, please feel free to ask.

I hope this information will be helpful.

Your satisfaction is my goal. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen so that I can get the credit for helping you. Thank you!

Regards.

are you concerned about the high white blood cell count, and absolute neutrophils
i feel like i have something brewing and have not felt like myself in the last few months. Very tired

No, white blood cells and neutrophils can be increased in chronic inflammatory joint processes such as arthritis, that's why I consider it

is that understood?

Ok thanks

its has been a pleasure

Regards.

Edgar Rubio Villegas