Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I had a question about some of my lab results after getting…

Hi I had a...

Hi I had a question about some of my lab results after getting tested for hiv

Doctor's Assistant: Is this your first time reaching out for information about this?

Yes

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Nope I pretty healthy

3/22/2018
Dr. A
Dr. A, Board Certified MD

Hi, my name is***** and I will see if I can help you today.

What is your question?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Hey are you here

Yes, what is your question?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I took an hiv test because I was never tested and the initial Elisa 4th gen test came out positive. They did a confirmatory differentiation test which came out negative they also did an rna test which was negative
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Now I’m not sure what to do

Do you know the exact name of the 2nd test that you took that was negative?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
it was the geenius hiv 1/2 differentiation confirmatory test

And also the name of the third test

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Third test was hiv 1 rna per test
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Pcr* test. The lab said there is no indication of hiv 1 infection but I should possibly do follow up for hiv 2? Also I took an hiv 1 rna test a week prior to the 4th generation Elisa which was also negative
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I had no exposure for years I am monogamous with 1 partner

So the 4th generation ELISA/immunoassay was the only positive result, correct? Then the differentiation test was negative and the PCR or nucleic acid test was also negative right?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
that is correct. I also took an hiv 1 rna per test a week prior to the Elisa 4th gen which was negative
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Pcr*
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Only reason I decided to get tested is because I’ve never been tested for hiv in my life. I also took 2 oraquick rapidbtests like 3 weeks ago which also both came out negative

Do you know if the differentiation test and the PCR test tested for both HIV 1 and 2?

They generally do.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Differentiation test tested for both hiv 1 and 2. Pcr was only hiv 1
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
However I had absolutely no exposure for years as I was with the same partner

I agree, I think it would be very improbable for you to have HIV based off your history and the testing results. The only thing that you could test further would be a PCR of HIV 2.

Here is an algorithm from the CDC to help determine the testing results that may be helpful: https://cdn.hivguidelines.org/wp-content/uploads/20161116142440/HIV-Testing_Figure-2_v2_new.png

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I saw that algorithm. Only thin that concerns me is possibility of being infected with hiv2. Would 6 months be enough to show antibodies? I heard somewhere some people don’t show antibodies for 12 months. And I’m scared of the hiv2 pcr if it shows a false positive. Would it be okay to just stop testing at this point or should I test again?

Antibodies against HIV-1 and HIV-2 are usually not detectable until 6 to 12 weeks following exposure and are almost always detectable by 12 months. I think 6 months is enough to show antibodies. However, you could stop testing and just wait a full 12 months and then test again to be sure. However, I do think it is unlikely given your story. Hope that helps.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I would greatly appreciate it if you could give me a 5-star rating. We can continue to speak even after you rate if you would like. Thanks!

Dr. A
Dr. A, Board Certified MD
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Hey dr a thanks for your help. One more question. If the differentiation test didn’t detect antibodies do you know why the Elisa test came up positive? I know there are many reasons but is it okay to have unprotected sex with my partner? Like we have been doing for the past 4 years?
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I heard hiv 2 is also super rare so can I assume I’m hiv 1/2 negative?
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Testing just gives me so much anxiety so if I do not need any more tests I would rather just call it a day
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Because if the Elisa tests for hiv 1/2 and p24 antigen and all of those were ruled out can I stop testing?

There are many reasons for the negative ELISA test. It has a high sensitivity meaning that if it is negative you can rule HIV out but if it is positive you can't necessarily rule it in which is why you have to do a more specific test like the differentiation test to confirm. I understand your anxiety and I think it is OK for you to have unprotected sex with your partner. If both you and your partner are monogamous and you are not exposed to needles, etc. I think the chances are very, very low.

Dr. A
Dr. A
Dr. A, Board Certified MD