Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I'm 83yrsold-- have extreme tingling in both of my hands..

Customer Question
I'm 83yrsold-- have extreme...

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? In general, how would you describe your health lately?

The condition continues throughout the day-- subsides at night--health is very good otherwise

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Patient at va-- have a very limited perscription for ra-- is it too small?

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/22/2018
Doctor: Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon replied 3 months ago
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon

Hello -

Besides your hands -- do you have tingling in your forearms, or your upper arms or neck?

And which fingers specifically are affected by the tingling? Is the thumb? And the pinky finger? Or some other combination of fingers?

Hello-

I would want your doctor to evaluate two things first.

Carpal tunnel syndrome can cause tingling in both hands that is fairly prominent in all the fingers except the pinky finger. So if that is the case with you, it could be related to pressure on the nerve at the wrist.

It could also be cervical stenosis -- issues with pressure on the nerves or the spinal cord in the neck. Issues at the C6-7-T1 level in the neck can cause symptoms to feel as if they involve the hands.

Nerve conduction studies and MRI of the cervical spine can be helpful in evaluating these issues further.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!