Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I'm getting conflicting messages. i'm haveing a nuclear cat…

I'm getting conflicting messages...

I'm getting conflicting messages. i'm haveing a nuclear cat scan in the morning. one says eat anything even coffee and water in am other says fast for 12 hours, i need this scan in tremendous pain and don't want to mess it up so asking what's the prep for it?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

Week and a half. reinjured an old fractued lower disc in my back. need to get this done to give to my back doctor last time i suffered for 6 or more weeks and he said too late but it got better never totally gone away.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I'm a walking med diaster. had a brain aneurysm at 49 and have had gall bladder out. dealing with well contri=olled barrets syndrom plus partially deaf and have two hert stents and afib. all controlled with meds.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/22/2018
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon

OK.

Is this a nuclear bone scan? (to evaluate your lower back)

Or a nuclear stress test? (for your heart)

or something else?

bone for my back.

There should not be any restrictions for a bone scan for your back. You can eat and drink and take your normal medications.

(A nuclear stress test would be different - you shouldn't drink coffee or have any caffeine before that test).

Best of luck.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Thank you, ***** ***** so important tome and has been difficult getting in for a cat scan, most places are booked till 2nd or 3rd week,in April, so I just do,t want this messed up, have had a broken hip total replacement , t boned by a car running s red light and ended up with 19 broken bones, bruised heart punctured lung broken collar bones and pelvis, so I know bone Paine broke a finger on a fall from a bike and had my,eye lid sewed back together, all are fine now except the radiating back,pain, hubby doesn't drive because a congenital condition,very bad eye site and I'm,not driving right now due to taking a narcotic,,oh when,I finished up the healing from,car accident aren't through withdrawal,,never want to do that again,,it was as bad as the pain before but I was on s pain pill up yo 8 a day and a fennel,patch,,lucky to be alive but thank you,,I know no caffeine in am now,,sincerely,,

Yes --

Of course, when you call to book your appointment, you can also ask them (just to be sure) that the type of scan you are getting is OK for caffeine, and eating prior to the test.

The bone scan to look for fractures / arthritis / broken hip replacements / infection / etc...will not require you to avoid any caffeine.

Best of luck.

Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon