Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have been having blood with my stool for the past week.

Customer Question
I have been having...

I have been having blood with my stool for the past week. Also a stripe of blood down the length of the stool. Want to determine if anything serious is wrong ASAP.

Doctor's Assistant: In general, how has your health been lately?

No better or worse than normal.i haven’t been sick.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

High blood pressure I’m taking pills for. Isn’t the first time with blood with stool. Just seems worse than before

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
3/22/2018
Doctor: Dr Josh, Doctor replied 4 months ago
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor

Dear customer

This is Dr. Josh. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

What is your age & gender?

Any history of constipation?

Dear customer

Thank you for being online.

The condition having fresh red colored blood in stool is called hematochezia. Generally, the closer the bleeding site is to the anus, the blood will be a brighter red. This blood you are having in stool for the past week is coming from lower gastro intestinal tract.

Its most common causes are:hemorrhoids,anal fissures,diverticular bleeding,intestinal infection (such as bacterial enterocolitis),inflammatory bowel disease, ulcerative collitis,crohn's disease.

Hemorrhoids is the most common cause of bright red blood in stool.

You need following tests:

-Stool examination,

-Anoscopy

-Ultrasound of lower abdomen,

-Rectal examination

-Colonoscopy

Please do not worry. There is nothing serious or dangerous about this and it is treatable with medications.

So my best advise for you is to please make an appointment with your doctor to have the tests & examination done so as to know the exact underlying cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.

Thank you

Please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today ,we only get after positive feedback.

Bonus is highly appreciated.

We are here to help you until you satisfy.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh