Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I'm a 30 year old woman and I have an itchy scalp and little…

Customer Question
Hi I'm a 30...

Hi I'm a 30 year old woman and I have an itchy scalp and little bumps on the side of my head

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Does anything in particular seem to make the itch better or worse?

That's been 2 years I don't know if anything makes a difference but I'm losing a lot of hair

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Not that I know of

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Medical
3/22/2018
Doctor: Dr.Saleem, Doctor replied 3 months ago
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

Sorry to know that . Do you notice any dandruff too ? Any crusting o your scalp where you get the bumps ? Do you find it difficult to resist itching these lesions ? Have you tried anything at all for this ?

I do have dandruff to know I haven't tried anything yet

Ok it sounds like seborhheic dermatitis. When an adult gets seborrheic dermatitis, the condition can come and go for the rest of the person’s life. Flare-ups are common when the weather turns cold and dry. Stress also can trigger a flare-up. The good news is that treatment can reduce flare-ups and bring relief.

I would recommend you the following measures ;

Use selenium sulfide shampoo to get rid of the dandruff .

Alternate this with ketoconazole and good quality coal tar shampoo.

These three topical formulations would help you with getting your scalp health back.

Avoid using other hair products meanwhile which include hair oil, toners, gels , other shampoos , dyes etc .

You may take cetirizine to help with the itch but avoid itching as much as you can as it can cause superimposed bacterial infection through your nails thus further complicating things.

I hope it helps.

Let me know if you have any more queries.

Please reward credit for the consult by clicking 5 stars in rating corner of your page if you are satisfied.

Stay blessed.

Regard

Stop