Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

What are the symptoms of a trich infection in throat? How…

Customer Question
What are the symptoms...

What are the symptoms of a trich infection in throat? How easy is it for the body to fight it off? Would this cause bad breath?

Doctor's Assistant: When did the mouth odor begin? Have you used any medication for it?

A couple months ago. No medication

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about the mouth odor?

No

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
3/22/2018
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 4 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5308532/

is a good article

Trichomoniasis throat or pharyngeal infections are very very rare.

99.99% of all sore throat cases would not be from Trichomoniasis.

99.999% of all cases of bad breath would not be from Trichomoniasis

Of course :-) but I am asking because a previous sex partner had trich

I see

are you having sore throat symptoms? did you have oral sex on her?

sorry for the delay - had to workyes i had oral sex with her, no, no sore throat at all. no swollen glands. just a new bad breath smell coming from deeper in the throat, mouth wash just masks it, not removes it... slightly fishy(?) i don't know how fishy fishy should smellcan i heal trich on my own?

no, you can't treat trich on your own

this may not be trich

it could be something else like H Pylori bacteria in your stomach which can cause bad breath odors

you need to see your doctor for more testing and evaluation.

any tips to diagnose this without seeing the doctor?
any tell tale signs, for or against?
the smell comes and goes
i meant to ask is it possible for your body to naturally fight off the infection?

yes, your body can fight off infection

you may not have an infection

the odor could be from excessive stomach acid.

only testing can find out if you have an infection or not.

DR .David, thank you very much for your answers. I hear what you are saying, that tests are the only way to know for sure. I appreciate and echo that!Only problem is i am uninsured, going to the doctor is very expensive for me. So please, if i may, let me ask you some final questionsSeeing that I am not presenting like the gentleman in that article you sent me (TY BTW) - i don't have swelling or sore throat - and that the smell comes and goes and might be going away, would it be reasonable to wait before going to the doctor to see if the smell goes away completely? Meaning in your professional opinion there is at least a 50%+ chance i can fight this off naturally / it is not even trich?even if i gave oral sex to a previous partner who i was told had trich, what are the odds of infection anyways? 50%? 20%?

there are ways to see doctors are free clinic for testing

you can apply for medicaid insurance in your state

you can also be treated at a local university medical center where they treat patients without insurance.

you can wait

you can work on decreasing stomach acid and see if that helps.

medications like zantac and prilosec can help decrease stomach acid.

chances of you having trich in your throat is 1% or less

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 Stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up or down see the ratings area)
You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

1% or less even after having oral sex with someone who i know to have trich? - for the sake of argument let's say we know for sure they had it
surely that would be a bit higher - the little parasites must be tougher than that! no?

no, it would not be higher

trich spreads through intercourse, not through oral sex

i understand. thx
And if I had trich infection in throat, what are the odds my body could fight it off without treatment?
in your professional estimation - is trich very powerful? or not very virulent in the throat?

if you did contract a trich infection in your throat, it means your body can't fight it off

trich in the throat is super super rare.

that one case they saw, the doctors had to write it up and publish it because it was so rare.

i understand completely! please just humor me one last question
how rare is flagil resistant trich? I have been doing more reading and i put some connections together - i was having UTI like symptoms a month ago. and pain in my bladder area. a doctor prescribed 7 days of flagil for me at 2 grams a day for diverticulitis. as i understand that is the medication you would give for trich as well.How rare is flagil resistant trich? I know it is on the rise, but (hypothetically) what are the odds i was exposed to a flagil resistant strain?

flagyl resistant trich is very very rare.