Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Thank u. I was diagnosed with DVT and 5 PEs while training…

Thank u. I was...

Thank u. I was diagnosed with DVT and 5 PEs while training for a comeback triathlon following two broken ankles and severe MRSA infection.Had flu symptoms no leg pain but bad swelling I was told the results of the MRSA. 11 mos swelling gone. Contracted a Bad Cold. (So I thought). I rarely get sick so odd. Went to ER sent me home with Acute Bronchitis diagnosis. Thought I could sweat it out. 5 days later fainted. Rushed to ER. Couldn't breathe. Diagnosed shockingly.w/ DVT and 5 PEs! No history. Only of bad Thyroid. Mom and Aunts all have problems. I never showed symptoms. Never checked it.

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Any redness or swelling in the leg?

Would like a referral to a Specialist in sports injury recovery from DVTs and PEs with lung damage. I am 17 mos into recovery and can't get away from Oxygen tanks. I have no clot history. This apparently stemmed from 2 broken ankles and Severe MRSA infection resulting in legs swelling which my own doc believes set the groundwork for clots. I want to see someone willing to do a study as mine seems to be a unique case. Any suggestions where I begin

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Only Thyroid issues on Mom's side. dad and Mom. Died at 84 one heart attack Mom had 3 strokes.

3/22/2018
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I am sorry you are having these issues

you should see a pulmonologist for lung testing like a pulmonary function test which can help assess the status of your lungs

and you need to see a hematologist as well and get more testing to check for blood clotting disorders.

who treated you for your broken ankles? did you see an orthopedic surgeon to treat your broken ankles?

I am seeing a Pulm and I have significant scar tissue obstruction in right lung. Left lung escaped damage even though 5 PEs were in every lobe both lungs.I do not have Lutein Factor and blood is normal on all tests except Thyroid values way off. Always active 2-4 hr day for my whole life. On broken ankles did so out of the Country. Equivalent to our Urgent Care. After a scuba diving trip in Virgin Isles
My issue is his patients are COPD older smokers and CF. I think he just treats with meds. I am on a tight budget thus was hoping for a doc to take my case on because it's rather unique. Heart tested strong. It's an anomaly (doc words)

I see. you may benefit from pulmonary and cardiac rehabilitation exercises

I suspect you are on blood thinners at this point to help dissolve the clots

hopefully you are on proper antibitoics for the MRSA

once the clots dissolve and you get back into doing exercise, your lungs will heal

how much they will heal will depend

332 days on Xarelto. Last DVT gone. No more clots. Is there a way scar tissue can be removed.
Doc just changed me from 20 mg Xarelto to low dose 3mg warfarin
Thank you. Was hoping I could be referred to someone who can help me. I exercise daily now but lung isn't allowing me to breathe off tank. Sigh. I will keep asking thanks anyway
MRSA drained and excised out. Dormant for a year.

scar tissue can't be removed in the lung

it is how the lung heals from injury.

is your red blood cell count low or iron levels low?

this can cause shortness of breath

you may need a VP ventilation and perfusion lung scan to see where the blood is going in your lungs and where the air is going

you should get a pulmonary function test as well.

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 Stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up or down see the ratings area)
You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician