Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am a relatively healthy 26 year old male. For the last 6…

Hello, I am a relatively...
Hello, I am a relatively healthy 26 year old male. For the last 6 months I’ve been having a tingling sensation in my upper abdomen, later on in the night I would feel a dull/achy pain in my upper left back that sometimes radiate alongside my rib to the front of my upper left abdomen. The upper left abdomen would then feel almost like a cramp. The rib pain isn’t frequent but when I do feel it, it feels lightly sharp. When I do feel the pain it usually starts later on in the night or when I’ve been standing in an awkward position for too long or hunched forward or when I’m on the computer leaning forward for too long. I have to admit I have pretty poor posture most of the time and sleep on my stomach. I also have anxiety and lots of stress due to my line of work. I noticed the pain first last year and noticed the more I thought if it the more frequent it would become. No of the areas are tender to the touch, no gastric or stool issues. And blood results are perfect. I visited my primary care provider in regards ***** ***** issue thinking maybe I need tests done. I told him the pain subsides when I lay back and/or lay down. He states it’s a back muscle strain due to some of the motions I’ve done in the gym through out last summer. He stated that I’m suffering from a strained/sprained muscle. My worry is that it might be a organ or something more serious because I’m still feeling the tingling and occasional middle/upper left back pain. He recommended a heated pad and cooling pad for the pain. Also I’m not sure if a muscle strain/sprain can even last for that long without healing on it’s own and what the tingling sensation in the upper left abdomen has to do with it. Should I visit a physical therapist? Thoughts on what this dull achy back pain and muscle fatigue that sometimes radiate along the adjacent rib to the front of the upper left abdomen might be? Also I do blood test every year and so far it has come out clear. Blood test and urine came back perfect two months ago. No pain urinating. No blood in urine. No weight loss. No digestive issues either. Thoughts?
About a year and a half ago I did fall down a flight of stairs and last summer I did exert my upper back during lifting exercises in the gym.
3/22/2018
Connie Pennington

Hello, I am Dr. Pennington. I am sorry you are having issues.

I agree with your physician that this is most likely musculo-skeletal is nature.

Are you going to the gym now?

I stopped lifting months ago and the pain still comes on at night. It almost feels like muscle stiffness/fatigue now. I’m wondering if what I’m suffering from my be vertebral subluxation?

Oh I don't think its anything that serious at all.

It seems like there is a recurring injury to keep it aggravated.

It could be posture related. You are right in that a physical therapist can offer a lot of insight. This may be a good idea.

Are you doing any stretching exercises?

I am, I saw a physical therapist 2 days ago and he said it might be a strained muscle. I’m just not sure how a strain can lost for so long

Indeed they can. 6 months is actually not that long for these things. Make sure there is not a repetitive causative factor, even that you are not aware of like twisting to reach into your back seat, or a bad mattress (this is common), or camping and sleeping on the ground, etc.

I am glad you are seeing a PT, they are awesome.

Have you tried an anti-inflammatory like Advil?

Things that may help:

Clean diet-whole food diet. Dairy is pro-inflammatory, so avoid that for a while.

Epsom salt bath soaks, the Magnesium in Epsom salt does wonders for muscle pain.

Use a foam roller-I am sure the PT told you about that. Or showed you.

Herbals that help and are anti-inflammatory include fish oil, ginger, bromelain (found in pineapples) tinctures, peppermint oil, ice or heat.

A massage therapist that uses essential oils can do wonders. I like a technique called "raindrop" that uses several essential oils specifically designed to treat back pain.

Also consider any stress in your life. Stress seems to settle into the cervical or low back areas. We tighten these areas without even knowing it through the day. A hot yoga class is awesome if you have it in your area.

I wish you the best of luck! Please rate this question with 5 stars if it was helpful, but I will still be here to answer questions!

Connie Pennington