Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Arun Phophalia. Bet you have wondered, where did she go? No,

This is for Dr. Arun...
This is for Dr. Arun Phophalia.Bet you have wondered, where did she go ? No, I have no been on a cruise, notthe convent either.
No to hospital and jail..YEAH. Truth is I have been working at keeping the anxiety down enough to keep the panic away. Have done well...hit a blip yesterday...so want to touch base with you.
Two questions. My acid reflux stays quiet for months; then packs its bags and comes for a 4/5 day visit...uninvited I might add. Not nearly as bad as when I was first diagnosed but a bother. Mostly just the nausea...and if you remember I hate the nausea !! Yesterday was particularly bad as it seemed even adding the antacids did bring much relief. Actually seem to do better the less I eat, bit think that can't be good. I take Zantac 75 2 x day but my dr. said I could do the 150 a day if it flares up. I don't see much difference unless it takes longer for it to work than I think...or could be bit impatient...hard to believe, huh ? I took 4 antacids between the doses..but not much help. Finally took a dose of pepto bismal and that seemed the quickest at stopping the nausea. So, TA DA question...should I saty on 150 for a few days and take the pepto instead of the chewable antacids..have no knowledge if they are the same or different. How much can I take. Now stomach is pretty quiet..but haven't eaten today either. Am looking at PB&J sandwich here in a minute. I did not over panic about dry skin at produced exzema spots...did talk to Dr. Ali about them months ago and was assured no, it was not cancer or any thing serious..since then any occasional thought of ailments has not produced that anxiety rush. Did a bit Tues. evening of note. Had phone session with therapist and told her the above..but when I got off the phone, could feel that anxiety peeking out...also when that happens every medical ad on TV (thousands) have me wondering.......GEE.....Nothing else of major importance...matter of fact, not sure any of this is. Maybe I just missed talking to you. LOL
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/22/2018

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

I was missing you!!

You may take 150 mg once a day. Zantac can be taken even 300 mg per day, either in a single dose or 150 twice a day.

Pepto Bismol or liquid antacids are faster acting. You may continue with it. You can take 30 ml per day or if taking tablets; 2 tablets four times a day.

You may post the picture of dry skin, if it is persisting. I can review it.

Great to hear from you.

Good to see you as well. just since my math isn't that good (that's why I married a math major)..not really..it was the smile that caught me in Hook , line and sinker. Too few years..but better years than anyone I know. 30ml in spoon size ?
Dry skin..well, first I am not up on how to submit and feel confident that after seeing my doctor (let's not go there !) I just wasn't treating it strongly enough and picked up some exzema patches. The cortisone over the counter is helping as well as exzema lotion by Gold Bond...plus don't want to panic myself...One more thing..didn't want to add as the first was a novel already. The "vertigo" issues...have been reading up..and not getting all anxious about it. But is it possible to have the balance issues from more than I trigger. I know I have the inner ear one, but am thinking I might have the "migraine type" as well. The headache comes after the spinning leaves. Never much of one..Am researching neurologist in the area and will approach that soon. Did finally get eyes checked...hummm like 20 years late. Dr. said my eyes were very good ( for my age, that again !) Vision was 20/30 and no signs of glaucoma, macular degeneration , and only a trace of stage one cataracts ...so was pleased and surprised beyond belief...But I do feel at times that when I look at something as it moves by, or I do, that my eyes get there after my head...no comment please..about age or have screws loose !! Later, Susan

Susan,

30 ml is around 6 teaspoons.

For vertigo, you may consult a neurologist as well as an ENT specialist.

Did we discuss the vestibular tests? You may get them done for the evaluation. I am sure these tests won't find anything serious or significant but standard of care is to get them.

It is such a pleasure conversing with you and reading your posts.

Saw ENT...she said I surely had the inner ear one...the inside of mine is a mess. But mentioned the cervigenic one . The audiologist was the one who mentioned the migraine on. Not sure what test you are talking about , but the ENT did these manual "here/there" with the head. I had one about a month ago when I arrived at the therapist. I felt immediately a "zoned out" feeling..took a minute to access "anxiety"? Nope bent over and knew right away what it was..am not sure how it came about..took meclizine I had in car..but after 30 minutes it was worse (sensitivity to light and my personal favorite one, vomiting) Since I was an hour + away from my home..stopped at a triage center...so I could throw up for them..and " I will do anything..just don't ask me to open my eyes or move my head " Blood tests came back Ok..as did chest x-ray. Then did run an EKG..and I guess it was ok as they didn't say anything. It partners with local hospital that has my past tests, so I am guessing, rather smartly, I might add, that they compared to past ones and didn't see much change. Have taken to drinking these smoothies...fruit/veggies in V8 juice..do ok but they green looks nasty ! Add my flax seeds in that. although I would love to tell you that the anxiety and depression etc are all gone...I know that is not true....so know I will be "seeing " you again. And don't get any other "favorites". LOL Susan

Susan,

Cervicogenic vertigo is treated by physical therapy.

It is good that you know that anxiety is predisposition.

But vomiting and dizziness are related to each other and I feel that it might trigger your anxiety. This is not unusual as these are significant symptoms.

You may ask these investigations;

1) audiometry,
2) vestibular tests.

The most commonly performed vestibular tests are as follows:

Electronystagmography (ENG)The rotating-chair test, also referred to as sinusoidal harmonic acceleration (SHA), Computerized dynamic posturography (CDP).
3) blood tests for autoimmune disorders,
4) computed tomography (CT), and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).

5) The saccadic test
6) The gaze test
7) Pursuit eye movements test
8) Optokinetic Nystagmus test
9) Head shake nystagmus test.
10) Positional nystagmus testing
11) Bithermal calorie test.
12) Rotating chair test.

13) An alternative to the rotating-chair test is the active head-rotation test,

14) Computerized dynamic posturography

Fruit / veggies drinks are healthy, so you may continue them.

Well, will move forward, albeit, slowly on the neurologist ..Smoothis are Ok...the only way to get kale or avocado down me. !
Anxiety is one of my crosses to bear...am trying to handle it better. I find it odd, though, the less anxious I am the more apathy sneaks in...am having trouble seeing things through...(gym, projects, writing)..I would have thought it would go the other way.
Note: if I were to call GP about the pepto and stuff...the receptionist would say...ok I'll check and call you back....thing is that only happens about 20% of the time. if I bug them...Hence, my turning to you...which by the way is much better and nicer. Always get a thorough answer in a nice manner...something missing in other places ! I shall depart for now.. Know like my anxiety for me..I too, will return to you. ( : =} Oh, and remember no working past midnight.... I will be watching !! Till next time. Susan

Thanks Susan. I really appreciate your thoughtfulness and kind words.

Anxiety, I feel is a virtue. Sensitive people will have anxiety. We humans are not only body as perceived by some of the doctors. We are mind too and this complex interplay of mind and body cause manifestations.

Keep pursuing your hobbies.

That is the best way mind keeps healthy and in turn body manifestations are mild or may not come at all.

Take care.

Not sure how much of my mind is left after all I have put it through. You are right that the mind is an extension of our body and heart and soul. Gee we peoples are a complicated being, are we not ? I know the pursuit of interest is important, esp. for sensitive anxious persons like myself (LOL). Can't figure out where it all went. I have been steady with gym and activities until Dec. and just have not found my way back on track...although I did get the gym in tonight...yea..
Until next time, my friend...and remember nothing past midnight. I have eyes everywhere. (= +}

Sure Susan, I would abide by your instructions! I know, I am under surveillance!!

You are at the right track; writing for mind and Gym for body, will keep you well.

Thanks for 5 stars and bonus.

I highly appreciate it.