Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have a question about testicular cysts. Can you help with…

I have a question...

I have a question about testicular cysts. Can you help with that?

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

Intermittent swelling and pain on one side. The pain is sharp in the testicle, and radiates to my lower abdomen where it feels duller. I had a bilateral hydrocele repaired when I was 12. I am 21 now.

Doctor's Assistant: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?

No recent injuries...my dog jumped on that area about 6 or 7 months ago (which hurt!) I've had an ultrasound since then which didn't show any masses or fluid. I've been to my PCP, but not a specialist. I'm in college and run track, so this becomes bothersome and painful during practice and competition.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Only the hydrocele repair. No other illnesses or surgeries.

3/22/2018
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

how old are you?

what questions do you have about testicular cysts?

sorry about your dog accident.

so your testicles still hurt after that incident?

have you tried ice packs or cold packs on the area to help decrease swelling?

are you wearing a jock strap or scrotal support during running?

I am 21.
Based on the results of my ultrasound (which was essentially negative) is a testicular cyst the most likely cause of these symptoms? Are cysts and the symptoms just something I'll have to learn to deal with, or is there something I can do to prevent them? If you don't believe a cyst is the cause, what else should be ruled out?
Yes - my testicles still hurt intermittently since the dog jumped on me. The pain isn't triggered by any one thing in particular. It can happen with activity, or at rest.
I have tried ice, which works in the moment, but the swelling and pain keeps returning.
I wear compression shorts under my practice gear and uniform bottoms.

you can have another ultrasound which can tell for sure if you have a cyst

most testicular cysts or hycroceles are not painful and not problematic

trauma to the testicle can cause some testicular bruising or torsion

these can be seen on ultrasound as well.

you should get another ultrasound scan to see if anything is different now.

Okay. Thank you for your time and expertise. Much appreciated!

you are welcome

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 Stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up or down see the ratings area)
You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician