Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have the H3N2 virus. The nausea and vomitting are

Customer Question
I have the H3N2...

I have the H3N2 virus. The nausea and vomitting are horrible. I am on a nausea medication and ant diahreal but I can't handle food. Today is day no. 4. I can drink fluids and can get my electrolytes in, but how long until I can eat. I am concerned.

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

I am taking a benzo for nausea (i was a oncology and hospice nurse and have clonipin for ptsd and it does work) and immodium

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Just PTSD

Submitted: 30 days ago.Category: Medical
3/22/2018
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 30 days ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually, nausea and vomiting from H3N2 can last for a week to ten days depending on the severity of the infection. Usually anti-vomiting and anti diarrheal medications to help in resolving the situation, however in some cases strong prescription medications may be needed such as Zofran or metoclopramide to control the vomiting. Secondly, the most important thing is to keep hydrated during this time, hydration is the key. As long as you can hydrate and keep drinking electrolyte rich fluids you are not in any serious danger, the major issues occur when patients cannot drink fluids. You should be able to start tolerating soft diet by the end of the week and even then you should start with the BRATY diet which is more easily digestible than other products. this consists of bananas, rice, applesauce, toast, yogurt.

I would suggest that you add Benadryl for nausea and if necessary ask your doctor for Zofran which should be better able to control the vomiting.

Do you have any more questions?

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor