Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

59 yr old male, I had a DVT's in my right leg Nov 27 2017. I…

59 yr old male, I...
59 yr old male, I had a DVT's in my right leg Nov 27 2017. I am 31/2 months from the event. The radiologist report said superficial dvt below leg in calf, behind the knee, and just above the knee. I started Eliquis the same day, 10mgx2day for two weeks, then .5gx2 since then maint dosage. I have a 9mm chip in the knee. I had a DVT in the left leg 4 years ago. The first one didn't have an obvious cause. However at the time I was on a much higher dosage of Testosterone than I am now.
I think the trouble I was having the the chip is the cause of the second one, for more than a year, the knee would swell, be painful to the point I hd to rest it. No surgeon near me would get it out for fear of another DVT, and here I am. I take Eliquis twice a day, toprol-xl 100 mg once a day, OTC antihistamine, Testosterone .5 x1week, and I have 10mg oxycodone to take if needed, but that is for a back surgery 18 years ago.. I don't take it all the time, since the blood clot I have been glad I had it.
TODAY'S QUESTION: Last night about 11, I looked at my right leg after a long day, just above the sock line, I had a scary raised bump 2x3 inches, swollen much higher than my sock, big enough to make me get scared. If you pushed it it dimpled like a bruised piece of fruit. I was painful. BUT it had no discoloration at all, it just looked like someone had pumped air under my skin till it made this bump. I stayed up till midnight massaging and keeping my leg up eventually fell asleep. This morning it's gone. no pain no discoloration. You have to look hard to see where it was. I put on shoetop high socks today.
3/22/2018
Doctor Jennifer

Hi, I'm Dr Jennifer and I'm a surgery fellow. That sounds like pitting edema, but it is very strange that it was localized like a bump. You don't happen to have pictures, do you?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No, If I hadn't been freaking out in the shower I would have taken a picture. I let hot water run over it 15 minutes, got out got in my recliner and massaged it 15 minutes, nothing changed, I went to bed...
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just took a picture....... I found myself scratching it, it is a little red
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
But not really swollen

But in the morning it had completely disappeared?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just took a picture, will send
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
bump

It's not uncommon to have edema in the legs after a long day on your feet. I myself wear compression socks to the knee for operating. The swelling can be impressive! But it is always gone in the morning since it's caused by gravity winning against our veins' walls. But with the legs elevated in bed, your body re-absorbs the fluid that leaked from the veins and puts it back into your blood circulation.

So even though usually edema is symmetric, the fact that it wasn't discolored (e.g. no inflammation, not a bruise or hematoma), I think it must have been edema. You may have some component of chronic DVT or stenosis in the deep venous system on that side which might contribute to higher pressures in your right leg veins, meaning when your legs swell from normal gravity the right will be more affected. But still, it should have been symmetric around the right leg.

Yeah, in the picture, clearly no bleeding there, nor inflammation. I would recommend getting a couple of pairs of compression socks you can wear in the future for days you know you're going to be on your feet.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The bump was the size of the circle I am making with my fingers... the red spot is all that is left
it itches...does not hurt, however both my legs are hurting allot at the end of the day, like someone beat them with a stick,

I would definitely get compression socks then. That's how my legs feel when I forget my compression socks and operate all day! It's amazing how much it helps.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I got it, the first DVT the doctor put me in hospital 5 days, heparin then coumadin for 6 months and told me to wear knee high compression stockings,, this time, they handed me eliquis and told me to come back in a month... no mention of anything other than don't hit your leg
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Does Lyrica help with this kind of stuff? My brother takes it for nerve damage from foot surgery

Ha! Yes, on blood thinners you should be careful. You can get nasty hematomas. But the compression socks help people with venous insufficiency a great deal, but they can help anyone who's on their feet a lot.

Lyrica acts only on nerves. Aching legs at the end of the day is often from the swelling itself, making them heavy and distending the muscle compartments and skin. The only thing to improve that is going to be compression (or miraculously returning to age 18 when your veins were made of tougher stuff).

Does that answer your question? Let me know if I can clarify anything. If you're satisfied with my service, please consider giving me a 5 star rating!

Doctor Jennifer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
got it thanks
Doctor Jennifer
Doctor Jennifer
Doctor Jennifer, Doctor