Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I had a question for you previously about gastroparesis, and…

Greetings, I had a question for...
Greetings,
I had a question for you previously about gastroparesis, and I hope you are able to access it. I had a gastric emptying scintigraphy (oatmeal) which showed a delay in the half time (66 minutes high normal range 47 minutes) but a normal emptying at 3 hours. The radiologist diagnosed it as "mild delayed gastric emptying." I do not know what this means and have many questions.1) is this truly mild gp?
2) will it progress?
3) do you expect to feel better with diet?
4) do you still think it is not a serious disease?Thanks again for your time
3/22/2018
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hi again.

Yes gastroparesis is classified in to mild, moderate and severe depending upon the results from the scintigraphy. This depends upon the retention of the meal in stomach at various times (30 minutes to 4 hours --- some centers measure only for 2 hours); and this is compared with reference ranges. So based upon the percentage of retention the classification is made as follows;

Mild – 10 to 15 percent; Moderate – 15 to 35 percent; Severe – >35 percent

1. So yes this can be mild GP

2. No one can predict if this will progress, but unless this is related to diabetes or neurological disease like Parkinson's, it doesn't progress

3. Yes you should feel better with diet

4. No its not dangerous

Good luck and my sincere wishes for your good health.

Please do not forget to Click and Give 5 Star Rating (at the top of screen) to my service as this is the only way I get credit for my time and expertise on your question.
If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindest Regards.

Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor