Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have a question for Dr Ravoof please

I have a question for Dr Ravoof please
3/22/2018
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Dear customer,
Thank you for requesting me.
Please ask your question.
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Hello.
I had a sore on my toe about a month ago. It was itchy and looked like an insect bite (but I don't think it was) and was a little painful. It went away after a few weeks but now I have another one on the adjacent toe.
I am wondering if they might be chillblains as the recent one started in a hot bath and was itchy and sore as well as red and inflamed.Now I am worried as I have seen that chillblains can be caused by lupus, and it seems over the years that I often have symptoms that point to that.First off, I did have a rash on my cheeks in 2009 when I was pregnant. I did see a dermatologist. Back then I was not to health anxious and did not consider lupus. The doctor did not mention it either. But it was a very sore rash on my cheeks. If I had lupus, would this rash have returned in the past 9 years?I also have the following:
Slightly low platelets (around 155-180)
Red blood cells on the lower end (around 4 where the range is 3.8 to 5.5)
Dizziness
Memory problems
Difficulty concentrating
Neck stiffness and pain - when they say joint pain with lupus, do they mean in more than one area?
Tiredness/fatigue
Sensitivity to light - my EYES are extremely sensitive to light, but are they meaning skin only here?
Dry eyes
My urea was low last year (2.2). Creatinine was 70. eGFR 80ml/min.
Hashimotos disease/postpartum thyroiditis so possible history of another autoimmune diseaseOn the plus side, my CRP last year was low (under 0.6). I know CRP can be not too elevated in lupus patients, but can it be this low?Should I be worried about lupus here?
Dear customer,
Thank you for replying.Based on just two sores on toes that occurred a month apart I don't think you should worry about lupus. Chilblains will affect more than one toe and also will be more frequent and persistent. Having a rash on the cheeks is very common during pregnancy and this is not alarming.Your lab results are also not concerning for lupus.Joint pain with lupus is generalised and not restricted to the neck.You should not at all be worried about lupus. There are diagnostic criteria for lupus and I can safely say that your symptoms and lab results do not fulfil these criteria.Take care.
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Thank you for the reassuring response. Can I check a couple of things?
1. Would the rash have come back between now and 2009? It was extremely painful and in the classic butterfly shape.
2. Don't you think my dizziness, memory problems, etc could be lupus? You know the history of the dizziness from the other thread. It has been on and off for 3 months.
3. I am very. very tired. Can this not be caused by lupus, taking into account the other symptoms like dry eyes?
4. Is the sensitivity to light in lupus not meaning the eyes but the skin only?
5. Do none of the labs concern you, like the low platelets and kidney results?
6. Can CRP be this low if you have lupus?
Thank you.
Dear customer,
You are welcome!Yes the rash would have recurred if you were suffering from lupus.No, I don't think that your symptoms are due to lupus. Anxiety can also be a possible cause for these symptoms.The tiredness is likely to be a lingering symptom of the viral infection. Dry eyes also has more common causes such as allergy. So, there is no reason to disregard these common causes and consider lupus.Sensitivity to light is in reference to skin only.These labs are not worrisome and don't increase the likelihood of lupus.CRP will not be low in presence of lupus.Take care.
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Okay/
Thank you very much.
I appreciate your detailed response.
I thought my anxiety was getting better, but I guess not. This dizziness is making it so much worse.
I will try to see what I can do about the anxiety.
Thank you.
Dear customer,
You are very welcome!
Thank you.
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor