Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I've had a ongoing sinus problem for months, starting from…

I've had a ongoing...

I've had a ongoing sinus problem for months, starting from late summer from smoke in the air due to forest fires, and wind direction blowing into our area. I also have noise in my ears that is annoying, not from ear infection. Does this type of problem go on for a long time, or maybe it's connected to allergies?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Are you having any breathing problems?

No breathing problems. It's been going on since late summer/fall.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I was involved in an auto accident in July, a pretty bad T-bone to my vehicle which was totaled.

3/22/2018
Dr. A
Dr. A, Board Certified MD

Hi, my name is***** and I will be assisting you today.

Are you having nasal congestion, runny nose, facial pressure/pain, and difficulty smelling food?

Any fevers?

No fever, I have no difficulty smelling at present.

Have you tried anything to help your issues? Do you use any nasal sprays?

I’ve used a nasal spray at night when I use a Cpap mask. I’ve just recently started using Claritin D. Tylenol for headache.

It sounds like you may have chronic sinusitis, which can last for a long time.

I think it would be important for you to be evaluated by an ENT. They can look deeper into your nose to see if there is a lot of inflammation or pus. In addition, you may need to get a CT scan to make sure that the sinuses are the main cause of your problem.

If it does seem like a chronic sinus issue, you should definitely continue the nasal steroid spray and the Claritin-D. You can add a nasal saline spray as well. And finally, you may eventually need long courses of antibiotics (3-4 weeks) and potentially oral steroids if things don't get better.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Dr. A
Dr. A, Board Certified MD
Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Consultant
Phone call session started