Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My brother was given Vivitrol shot a few days ago which to…

Customer Question
My brother was given...

My brother was given Vivitrol shot a few days ago which to my knowledge is an opiate blocker and for those who drink a lot am I right

Doctor's Assistant: How long has your brother been using blocker? Has it helped at all?

He's been on Suboxone for a while and in and out of during those shots

Doctor's Assistant: Has he seen a doctor about this?

To my knowledge yes but here is my main question

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in his medical history you think the doctor should know?

So I am aware that Vivitrol is an opiate blocker Xanax is categorized as benzo so my question to you is can Vivitrol shot block any benzos such as Xanax

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
3/22/2018
Doctor: Dr. A, Board Certified MD replied 4 months ago
Dr. A
Dr. A, Board Certified MD

Hi, my name is***** and I will be assisting you today.

First of all, you are correct - Vivitrol is an opiate blocker and for those who drink a lot.

To answer your other question - Vivitrol only blocks opiates and Xanax and other benzodiazepines are not in that class. Because of that, Vivitrol does not have an affect on benzos such as Xanax.

Hope that helps.

he can still get high from xanax while on Vivitrol shot?

Yes.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I would greatly appreciate it if you could give me a 5-star rating. We can continue to speak even after you rate if you would like. Thanks!

vivitrol shot doesn't prevent the high from xanax?

No, it does not.

I was told otherwise that the while on a Vivitrol shot I would not feel any High's from Xanax

Go to this website: http://www.pdr.net/drug-summary/vivitrol?druglabelid=1199&id=2886

and search for this line by pressing control + F : Naltrexone does not antagonize the effects of non-opiates such as cocaine, ethanol, amphetamines, barbiturates, or benzodiazepines.

Were you able to find that line? Benzodiazepines do not work on the same receptor as opiates. Hope that helps to clear things up.

Please do not forget to rate my service by clicking on the stars at the top of the page. Thanks!