Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Gastroenterologist, an immune system specialist, OR a

This question is for a...
This question is for a gastroenterologist, an immune system specialist, OR a pathologist. Since September of 2017, I've been suffering from rectal bleeding, tenesmus, diarreah, weakness, etc. In January of 2018, I got a sigmoidoscopy done, and the gastroenterologist thinks I have "Ulcerative Colitis." Since that time, I've been eating a healthier diet, and taking some supplements (bone broth, T.Curcumin, probiotics, multivitamin). I've noticed that when I take probiotics, my symptoms and flares are reduced by a lot. I have a feeling that I don't actually have "Ulcerative Colitis," but instead have "Infectious Colitis" - in which my colon has an overgrowth of bad bacteria, and the toxins they release are causing ulcers. Please see attached the biopsy report, along with pics of the sigmoidoscopy. My symptoms these days are pretty good: solid poop, minimal bleeding, but still have tenesmus. Considering all the facts, pics, biopsy report, etc - in your medical/professional opinion, does it sound like I have full blown autoimmune "Ulcerative Colitis," OR, does this seem closer to colitis caused by an infection/bacterial (i.e. "Infectious Colitis"). [or perhaps its both...bacterial triggers immune sys.]
please see attached here 2 images - sigmoid pics, and biopsy results/report
3/22/2018
Connie Pennington

Good morning. I am Dr. Pennington. I am an active practicing colorectal surgeon and have been for 16 years. I applaud you for questioning things and taking a healthy approach. I realize you posted this hours ago, but I would be willing to help you if you are still interested. I will be in the office all day but can check back.

How old are you? What gender?

33 years old, white male, luve in southern california
Live*

OK. Is this your first episode of colitis?

Do you or did you take any prescription medications?

First time experience w colotis. no meds. Ok, so whats your opinion?

Well. Inflammatory bowel disease (ulcerative colitis and Crohn's) are diseases that are well defined, but honestly we have no idea what causes them. Colitis is definitely an imbalance in normal flora, but which comes first? I have seen many patients totally turn it around with diet and supplements, exactly like you are doing, but often they need pharmaceuticals in the acute phase. Are you currently being treated with any medications? Like Flagyl/steroids/probiotics?

The best probiotic--with papers to prove it--is VSL#3 at a 900 billion dose, 4 times a day. It is known to reverse acute colitis.

Not taking any meds. My gastro dr wanted me to. I refused. Ive never had any pain except some discomfort/pressure from gas and before I need to go potty.
1. Considering UC is a serious autoimmune condition characterized by bleeding, diarreah, etc, which i have a lot less now after being on the pribiotic, does this probably mean i never had UC to begin with, OR does it mean i reached remission?
2. Cant a strong dose of probiotic be too much for my body to take? Im currently on "garden of life" soil based.
3. Are antibiotics a bad idea? They kill off good bacteria.
4. What specific tests (blood and stool) will help show the type of colitis i have?
5. What other supplements besides probiotics are essential to take?
6. Considering facts, Is it unlikely i have UC?
7. If probiotics helped so much, why didnt my gastro dr ever suggest them to me? He wanted me on meds right away
8. Is this probably just from disbyosis (ie a bacterial infection)? If so, how to best treat it?

standby, as I am in and out seeing patients, I will answer each question.

conniepenningtonmd.com look under the IBD tab.

I will be back.

My website goes over much of this. Take a look, but I will answer your questions as well.

We usually recommend a run of medication to induce remission, that is common.

1. UC is serious when it is chronic. What this means is that you are predisposed to get colitis when a certain trigger happens. It does not mean that it cannot be reversed. If your symptoms resolve without return then this is considered a remission. If it never comes back again during your whole life, it may have been a random "colitis" that was not UC. The biopsies were consistent with UC.

2. I don't think the soil based ones are very good. No data to support them. Plus you can introduce things we do not want. They do not identify proven strains. A "strong" probiotic means more billions of proven good bacteria. VSL# ***** is the best. When good bacteria take over and colonize, the bad bacteria die off and that die off releases some enterotoxins that can make you feel a little bad, but it is a normal response and will not last long.

3. Antibiotics are used to kill off the bad bacteria but also kill some good bacteria. Flagyl does not cause c. diff infections and is a favorite.

4. There are no specific blood or stool test to show what you have. We can to genetic testing as there are some traits unique to UC or Crohn's that can help differentiate the two. I like a comprehensive stool analysis to look at the entire microbiome, looking at the imbalance, but it does not diagnose UC or Crohn's . It can show inflammatory markers.

5. Fish oil, quality EPA/DHA at 4000mg a day. Turmeric and boswellia. I like a Thorne product called Enteromend. And an SCD (specific carbohydrate diet) is quite helpful.

6. I cannot say, you at least had an episode of colitis that was consistent with UC. The fact being the pictures of colitis paired with the biopsy report.

7. Meds are first line standard therapy in the standard medical model. Probiotics help keep people in remission once they get there, but I always start them together.

8. Dysbiosis is the first thing that happens, then increased intestinal permeability (leaky gut), the an immune response. It is a 3 stage process.

I would have treated you with antibiotics, probiotics, steroids, and canasa suppositories (a mesalamine) and educated you about diet (SCD), and supplements, and decreasing stress levels.

I hope this helps.

I am happy to answer more questions.

We work for stars, and I hope this earns 5!

I will still be here.

Thanks for your help. I will give you a great rating. Thanks. I have a few more questions. I appreciate your help...I will also give you a tip for your help.
1. So, you think I should go for a stronger probiotics? What brand do you recommend? Is it possible a too strong dose of probiotics causes a flare?
2. Essentially, shouldn't I be getting all my supplements through a well-balanced diet? Supplements are confusing to me because there's just SO many, and each doctor prescribes something different.
3. I'm still suffering from tenesmus. When I need to go, I have about 30 seconds to hold it in. How can I cure/treat this issue?
4. Since the gut microbiome changes all the time, would a blood or stool test really be a decent indicator if I'm infected w/ a certain bacteria?
5. Is it possible I'm infected with a bad bad bacteria - such as E.coli, Salmonella, etc, that has colonized and made my gut there home?
6. Basic question, but how do probiotics work exactly? Do they kill off the bad bacteria? Why do I need so many, every day?
7. What is the best way to tell what kind of COLITIS I have. In other words, how can I tell if its BACTERIA causing the ulcers, or, if its my IMMUNE SYSTEM causing the ulcers - and does it really matter? In other words, would TREATMENT be different depending on what it is, or, treatment would be the same...namely, strong probiotics.
8. If this is UC, considering the biopsy report, and the sigmoid images, is this a mild, moderate, or severe form of the disease?
9. Should I avoid the following foods: milk, rice, potato, tomato, processed sugar. If so, why or why not? Why are these foods considered to be BAD by so many doctors (I thought food is medicine)
10. When can I go back to eating normal, processed foods - like debbies snack cakes? Will I ever be able to go back to eating normal cereal (that has gluten)? (Note: going off gluten has helped me a lot, too)
11. Perhaps I have pseudomembraneous colitis?
12. Will my doctor be able to confirm or deny UC based on the blood/stool samples. Which blood/stool tests are key?
13. I would get flares at night, then I started taking another probiotic around 5pm, and flares got reduced - why so?
14. I'm afraid to try other supplements - I tried Vitamin D3 - 5000 units, 1 a day - within 24 hours, i lost the solidification of my stool.
15. I'm living near a metal balcony, the electromagnetic radiation gives me chills - im by it 10+ hours a day - do you think this radiation can cause flares? Note: I am sensitive to metal - I cannot wear a metal watch - it gives me shocks/chills.Thanks so much. Looking forward to your reply.

Stand by. Working on them! This is my passion, so I do not mind at all.

1. I recommend VSL#3 900 billion and use the packets you mix in water 4 times a day for a month, then go to twice a day. Good stuff. Lots of validated studies. You may experience a little bad bacteria die off symptoms, but they will not last long.

2. You should be getting all your vitamins/omega-3's through diet, and even then we all have genetic quirks and run a little low on some vitamin co-factors. Also if there is malabsorption, then there is a lack of absorption of the great food!

Supplements like turmeric you can get in diet (curry) but a supplement that contains the active curcumin is a better way to get it. Boswellia (Indian Frankincense) would not be in the diet but is a good anti-inflammatory for the bowel. Fish oil you could get by eating fish, as long as your body processes Mercury without an issue, as it is a problem these days.

3. Levator muscle spasms. It is common. Siting in hot water helps. The muscles are inflamed. I think Canasa suppositories help. It is a mesalamine. Expensive.

4. Yes, a snap shot of the microbiome helps us tremendously. If something bad is in there, we treat. Parasite, we treat.

5. Yes! Bad bacteria/yeast/ and parasites show up and we eradicate them.

6. In the right numbers good bacteria take over and the bad bacteria slowly starve (competition for food is to difficult) and eventually die off, or become a potential pathogen only when the good bacteria are compromised, like taking antibiotics.

There are trillions of bacteria in the gut, and we need them. Dysbiosis (imbalance) leads to lots of bad things, not only in the bowel, but systemically also.

7. Some cases we literally call it "indeterminate colitis" when we do not know. Unless it becomes chronic and we have lots of biopsies reporting the same thing, we really do not know, except for this particular episode. The mechanism is dysbiosis-then leaky gut-then immune response. Correcting the dysbiosis is very important, then repairing the damaged mucosa and healing the tight junctions is next, then the immune system calms down by itself. Now sometimes the immune system is so crazy that we do give immunosuppressants until we can correct the other things.

8. The pictures look like mild to me.

9. Avoid all of those foods. When we have increased intestinal permeability (leaky gut) those foods act as damaging proteins and acids. Once the gut is healed, you may go back to them. If you do not have allergies to them.

10. Well, when the gut is healed, you can try to eat those things. But, you will always have a sensitive system and may have strong food sensitivities to some of those foods, which act as a trigger to inflammation and immune response.

11. No, not in those pictures. But people with UC are at risk for it. Best defense is a good probiotic.

12. No. Genetic testing can be useful but I would rather have food allergy testing/vitamin testing/stool analysis to fix the here and now issues.

13. More bugs the better. I am telling you to get a script for VSL#3 900 billion. Use it 4 times a day.

14. I would like to see a Vit D level. Vit D is a fat soluble vitamin and is best taken in liquid form. I use droppers that have 1000IU per drop and adjust the dose.

15. Wow, that is a possibility. They have scanners that measure electromagnetic radiation, you could test the area. This would be the only way to be sure. Do you feel better when you go on vacation, get away from the area?

I am here if you have anything else. My desire is to help you as much as possible. I would love to have specialized testing on you, which could be done by the right provider (functional medicine) in your area.

Hi, please answer these. If you want to bill me an additional $20 for these questions, that is find by me, or otherwise I will tip you $20.00.1. With so many restrictions to my diet, there’s little left for me to eat! So, no gluten, dairy, sugar, eggs, soy, peanuts, tomatoes, potatoes, rice, high fodmap foods, broccoli, nuts, wheat, strawberries (because seeds might cause flares) – there’s very very little left for me to eat – may chicken, bananas, and water! So, I’m not sure WHAT to eat any more. Incredibly frustrating to avoid all these food items (which I still feel are needed in the diet, cause, you know, its still FOOD). Advice or suggestions? Is it possible that I might be able to tolerate these foods, OR, would you recommend I NEVER touch them because they are universally BAD for the microbiome diversity / gut health.
2. So, its possible that I never contracted a specific bad-bug, but instead, due to a poor diet, fed the natural bad-bugs IN my stomach, leading to a dysbiosis, leading to toxins or a negative immune reaction, correct?
3. With colitis, is there a near gurantee that I was suffering from dysbiosis, or, is it possible this was never from dysbiosis, but some other factor – such as leaky gut.
4. At this stage, what can my primary or gastro doctor do for me to help me stay healthy. To put it another way, what should I kindly demand they do to help me stay healthy? Run certain tests? Prescribe to me certain supplements?
5. Let’s talk probiotics. Do they actuall KILL off bad bacteria? Do they lessen toxins from the bad bugs?
6. Considering so many people in developed countries have autoimmune conditions, and all autoimmune diseases are pretty much the same thing (disoriented immune system negatively reacting to some trigger, thus leading to molecular mimicry, and it attacks person’s own tissues/organs), considering things can go into remission, is it fair to say that there was never anything WRONG with the immune system in the first place…instead, it was just temporarily flustered by some trigger – (e.g. processed foods is like throwing 1000 chemicals at immune system, it gets flustered, starts attacking colon).
7. Is this statement true: dysbiosis leads to toxins, leading to ulcers, and those toxins can also incite immune system, leading to even MORE attacks, and MORE ulcers. If that was the case, if the ulcers came from both toxins AND immune system, wouldn’t the colon look WORSE than my pics?
8. if I took another sigmoidoscopy today, considering I’m bleeding a lot less, yet still have tenesmus, would the ulcers look less severe? Considering I still have tenesmus, does that mean there’s still have inflammation going on?
9. seems to me the secret to fixing this is get the dysbiosis (aka unbalanced microbiome) back in BALANCE (by eating better foods, adopting healthier lifestyle, etc). True?
10. how can I find a functional doctor in my area? Can I hire you? Problem is we live far from eachother. I’m in so. California.
11. To help confirm the diagnosis that I have Ulcerative Colitis, what blood tests do I need to have done, and what will indicate I have the disease. And what stool tests do I need, and what will indicate I have UC (versus some other condition).
12. Besides UC, and infection, what ELSE might be causing ulcers in my colon?
13. Why is it called Inflammatory Bowel Diseases – when its not a disease of the bowel itself, but instead a condition of the immune system. That’s like me punching you in the arm, and saying your arm is diseased, when in reality its not – your arm is perfectly fine – its me punching it that’s making it inflamed/bruised.
14. Now I’m suffering from constipation all the sudden – haven’t had a bowel movement in over a day – something to be concerned about? Why might this happen?
15. If UC affects the entire colon, would symptoms worsen? Can it affect only part now, but spread? Do mucosa of colon grow back nicely?
16. would you agree with this: one of the reasons UC is such a nasty disease is because since each person is different, and each microbiome is different, its hard to diagnose, its hard to treat (because each person is different), and it affects the guts – key to nutrients and life-sustaining organ. In other words, UC is a bit mysterious, hard to diagnose with 100% accuracy, and really requires a trial and error to figure out the right supplements, etc to get to remission
17. fair to say: everyone with UC can get into remission by either taming their triggers or healing the dysbiosis or even the leaky gut
18. what are the chances this was never autoimmune in the first place, but the bleeding and colitis was just from toxins from dysbiosis in my gut.
19. how can I tell/train/reprogram my immune system that my guts aren’t foreign and to stop stupidly and erroneously attacking myself.
20. My flares only last for a handful of hours, and go away. When I’m not feeling them, is that considered a temporary remission?

We can't bill you, smile. I appreciate your inquisitive nature.

1. Food avoidance is for flares only. Gut healing takes place in 5-7 days. In fact the mucosa turns over every 5-8 days. Fasting is a great way to heal. When patients have bad flares, we start IVF and give nothing by mouth for bowel rest. Look on amazon for some SCD cookbooks. Clever people have figured this out, there is a lot to eat once you figure it out. Bone broth is so healing. You probably do not have SIBO, so low FODMAPS may not be necessary.

2. Yes, correct, but the bugs live in the colon. A few in the stomach but its intestinal bugs we need to balance.

3. There can be other causes of colitis, like a reaction to formaldehyde (used for radiation proctitis) or damage by enemas (homemade ones) but mostly it is dysbiosis-leaky gut-immune response.

4. I would ask for Canasa suppositories, VSL#3 900 billion (4 x a day), and maybe a weak topical steroid for the gut like budesonide 9mg a day. These are all things they would do for you. The holistic stuff most GI doc's are not into unless you find one trained in functional medicine. Then I would ask them to re-scope you to document remission in about 4 months.

5. Probiotic's compete with other bacteria for food. Once established good bacteria keep bad bacteria in check by sheer numbers. They do not kill them directly like an antibiotic, but indirectly. You can do it to with diet. Starve the bad bacteria. Bad bacteria like junk food and yeast like sugar. When bad bacteria die, especially in large numbers, they release enterotoxins, and that may be noticed but will not last long. (mild symptoms-diarrhea or loose stools)

6. YES! Your immune system was just doing its job. Functioning properly as it should. Not attacking colon but attacking the "unknown large proteins" that get through the leaky gut, that normally would not if tight junctions were sealed.

7. Dysbiosis leads to loss of tight junctions or increased intestinal permeability (leaky gut). Then large proteins that can be food proteins or bad bacteria proteins fall through the holes, and the immune system attaches to the protein and triggers an inflammatory response. The poor colon just gets damaged as the battle field where is takes place. I have seen a lot worse than your pics.

8. Yes, it should look better, and yes I'd say you have a residual proctitis.

9. Yes, and when your gut is strong again, then I would do food sensitivity testing and know your triggers. You can re-introduce a lot.

10. Yes, I am in TN. Go to IFM.org and look for a practitioner in your area. The west coast has way more than the east coast, so you are in luck. Good book by Gerard E. Mullins, "Gut Balance Revolution" He may practice on the west coast.

11. There is no specific blood test. We use clinical picture plus biopsy reports to diagnose.

12. Anything that damages the lining of the colon, IBD is the most common to give this picture.

13. Because that is the medical tradition, but you are right. We label things, Name it, blame it, tame it. Functional medicine like to get to the root cause.

14. Good, you are healing! Try a little more fiber.

15. UC starts in the rectum and works backwards to the small bowel. It can get so bad that the colon has to be removed. I have removed many a colon for UC. And yes, it can heal up just fine as well.

16. Sort of. We are good at suppressing the immune system, it takes longer to reverse dysbiosis.

17. For the most part, but I meet some people in the ER with perforated colons and there is no choice but surgery. Some people are resistant to treatment and the disease progresses.

18. Well I believe it is not so much autoimmune but an immune response.

19. Your immune system is not attacking itself, it is responding to large proteins in self-defense. We need the immune system to do that. (killings cancer cells) and what not. We must heal the leaky gut.

20. No, it is low grade smoldering slow recovery. Could be sped up with Canasa suppositories and low dose steroids (temporary use, just for a while).

Have a great day! You should be my book coach and I might actually write a book about UC!

Thanks for your reply.1. Last night i was spitting some blood - possibly related to this condition?
2. So, all this could just be an immune response, but not necessarily an autoimmune condition?
3. my poop right now is solid, but there's still bleeding, and the occasional flare...does this mean my immune system is still attacking my gut?
4. for those w/ UC, does the Immune System attack the gut itself, or just the bacteria around the gut, and that releases cytokines etc that cause inflammation of the colon
5. When I get flares, they feel like a chill, kinda like im getting a fever. i usually only get them at nighttime. Regarding avoiding certain foods, when i have my meals, no flare (during day), but then when they kick in, they stimulate something in my colon, causing the flare sensation (my shoulders feels chills). So, considering that, would it be okay to eat things like: milk, eggs, gluten, strawberry w/ seeds, potatoe, rice, starches, etc. Or...avoid these at all costs?
6. Regarding your book - I can help out - I'm also a cartoonist, so I can do drawings - does the book idea have a nice regarding UC?
7. im taking 2 probiotic capsules a day, blended. - would increasing it to 3 pills a day help my symptoms?Thanks

1. Unrelated, you need to get that checked out.

2. Yes.

3. It means you still have active colitis.

4. Yes, you've got it. The immune response is not directed at the gut but the gut gets damaged as an innocent bystander.

5. Avoid those foods until you are not in a flare for several days.

6. The book is a great idea if I can find the time.

7. I recommend the probiotic VSL#3 900 billion 4 times a day.

I hope that helps!

1. What is or causes "active colotis"?
2. So immune system never attacks gut itself? What about molecular mimmicry?
3. Maybe we can do: the cartoon book of UC?

Active colitis is simply inflammation of the colon. It is multi-factorial but ultimately involves the immune system. Dysbiosis/leaky gut/immune response until balance is achieved and the process reverses. When I think of molecular mimicry I think of proteins that are almost duplicates of body tissue that the immune system considers not-self. Like joints, and the thyroid. This is why there are so many "extra-intestinal manifestations" that go along with IBS. I suppose the gut itself could be attacked but much more likely to be damaged as the battleground of cytokines. I would to write a book on UC, but I will tell you, I have been doing this for a long time. I have taken many a colon out. My greatest fear in a book is the very failure of its contents--because some people simply do not have the resources for testing and supplements. Some people simply cannot follow the right diet. People become depressed as if they are doing something wrong. There are so many issues. At some point, surgery can be the perfect option, but it makes people feel like they failed. So much to address. Overwhelms me.

For your sake, help your body achieve remission with some medical management, then help your body stay in remission with life style changes, and then "feel" deeply what you are communicating to yourself. Then tell me about it! With a cartoon!

Connie Pennington
1. Hi - I apologize for my late reply. I've been doing a TON of research on this since we've last chatted. I guess my ultimate question is this: considering my bleeding is reduced dramatically since I've been taking more probiotics, and considering I have NO pain, and now solid stools (with some streaks of blood and occasional mucus pooping), will either a blood and/or stool test be able to confirm that I for sure have Ulcerative Colitis, and if not, will it confirm that I only have Infectious Colitis. What are some key things we should look for in the blood and stool tests that will help confirm (or doubt) the diagnosis of "Ulcerative Colitis."
2. Which blood and stool tests should I ask my doctor to order to get a deeper insight as to whats going on with me, and help shed light as to what I have going on with me?
3. If my immune system never attacks my colon physically, and only gets inflammed as a bystander of cytokines, SINCE THE IMMUNE SYSTEM is not DIRECTLY TARGETING my colon, is THIS REALLY considered "UC," or instead its merely acute colitis?
4. if its acute colitis, can the ulcers be caused by bacteria releasing toxins?YOU ARE AN AMAZING HELP TO ME AND I APPRECIATE YOUR EFFORTS. BELIEVE ME, I AM RESEARCHING THIS SO MUCH, IT FEELS LIKE A FULL TIME JOB, AND I TOTALLY APPRECIATE YOUR CARE!!!