Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I wondered I had a test and my nitrogen is 27, Creatinine is…

I wondered I had...

I wondered I had a test and my nitrogen is 27, Creatinine is 1.15, Bun is 23.5 and Egfr is 49. I am to have a MRI with gadolinium should I be concerned

Doctor's Assistant: Any pain or burning sensation while urinating? What color is your urine?

Clear and no pain with urinating but pain in lower right quadrant of the back, also dealing with high blood pressure and bigeminy and heart issues..cannot figure out why

Doctor's Assistant: Have you had any recent injuries? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

No injuries it is always dull but sometimes ad the day progresses it get worse

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Had a catherization last july which showed everything clear and now all of a sudden I have 3 leaking valves, and left ventricle enlargement

3/22/2018
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

how old are you?

do you have diabetes? take metformin?

drinking more water and fluids before and after your MRI scan with gadolinium can help you clear the contrast out of your system

urinating frequently afterwards can help

Do my numbers show poor kidney function
No diabetes and I only do natural therapies

your creatinine is slightly high

your eGFR is an estimated GFR estimated from your age, creatinine level, race and sex

to get a true GFR, you need a 24 hour urine collection

if you drink more water and get your creatinine levels down, you can improve your eGFR

do you think it is safe for MRI of the heart then
sorry I am 68
Is that it?

yes, it is safe for you to have an MRI scan

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

you can get gadolinium

but make sure you drink lots of water and fluids after your scan and urinate frequently to help flush out your kidneys