Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My son who is 25 years old had a cbc done and his red blood…

My son who is 25...
My son who is 25 years old had a cbc done and his red blood count is 5.6, the cut off is 5.0. Is this of concern?
3/22/2018
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor

Hello!

My name is***** to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily. Thank you for your patience.

Thanks

Is he chronic smoker?

Any other health or medical problems ?

Waiting for your reply…

Thanks

no on the smoking. He may have exercised induced astma. He is getting a echo stress test for tachycardia. His resting heart rate is always 100. He has had elevated rbc since 2014

Dear,

Thanks for all these additional details and sharing clear picture.

I am sorry to hear about your problem

Well, as per report, his RBC levels are slightly raised.

This is usually not related with any serious issue.

Possible reasons for such slightly raised RBC count are-

1. Cigarette smoking.

2. Dehydration.

3. Low blood oxygen level (hypoxia).

4. Bone marrow disease.

5. Pulmonary fibrosis.

He should avoid extreme temperatures, like extreme cold or very hot temperature.
He should keep yourself well hydrated and drink lots of water.
As such, there is no reason to get panic with such levels.

Having increased heart rate, can be related with- anxiety, panic attacks, dehydration.

He should should avoid caffeine, alcohol.

He should get engaged in aerobic exercise and stress-management techniques like deep breathing and yoga.

He should laugh more or watch a comedy or read a funny book.

He should connect with friends and family.

He can go for meditating, it would quiet your mind.

These measures, would help to decrease heart rate.

He should further get it clinically evaluated by his doctor.

Hope this helped

If you have any further question then you can ask me.

Please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get after positive feedback.
Bonus is highly appreciated.
We are here to help you until you satisfy.
Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

May i help you further?

Do you need more help?

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

he drinks tons of water. He is always drinking water. He says he always feels dehydrated but consumes more than enough. He eats healthy . Even when he was running and doing cardio his resting rate was 100. What would cause low oxygen?

Good to hear, that he doesn't remain dehydrated, and his intake of fluids is enough.

Low oxygen levels, can be due to-

-Anemia,

-Asthma,

-Pneumonia.

As you said, he has exercise induced asthma, this would cause low oxygen levels, and further result in raised rbc levels.

He would further need through clinical evaluation from his primary doctor.

Please take him to primary doctor, and discuss this issue with them.

God bless you and take care.

Don’t forget to leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get after positive feedback.
Bonus is highly appreciated.
Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dr. thinks he is dehydrated and didnt seem concerned he said it was opposite of anemia but didn't mention other possible causes. Would other blood counts be off with bone marrow?
Also can this be genetic. Mine and my husbands are slightly above 5 also ?

As such, his condition is not related with Bone marrow disease.

Bone marrow disease is associated with symptoms-

Bone pain, Excessive fatigue and weakness, swelling of the internal organs.

His condition is not related with any serious issue. No need to get panic.

Yes, it can also be related with genetic cause.

God bless him and take care.

If you are done,then please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today we only get after positive feedback.

Bonus is highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

The reason I asked about bone marrow is that he has developed pain in both shoulders when lifting the arms laterally. They believe it is tendonitis and want him to do pt. He does have fatigue issues. The asthma is only present when he runs, which he hasn't done for awhile, so would that result in low rbc. The fact that his numbers are slightly elevated since 2014. In 2014 it was 5.2 -5.4 years past and now 5.6. It is ironic that you mentioned bone marrow disease. A few years back he was concerned he had lymphoma because he had this enlarged lymph node that wouldn't go down and drs kept saying it wasn't anything. He also has had night sweats and gets very hot at night. The lymph node has been swollen for about 9 years now. So would other counts be off in the cbc for bone marrow issues/

In bone marrow disease, there is overproduction of one clone of a B lymphocyte and its antibody protein.

Also, there is reduction of platelet production and bleeding tendencies.

Please stop worrying. His condition, is not to be related with bone marrow disease.

No need to get panic.

Having slightly raised rbc levels are very common, and not related with serious issue.

Please be relaxed.

God bless you and take care.

we only get after positive feedback.
Bonus is highly appreciated.
Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor
Dr Josh
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor