Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have been an alcoholic for five or take 5 years. 3 years…

I have been an alcoholic...
I have been an alcoholic for five or take 5 years. 3 years ago I put myself in rehab and was able to then stay sober for about a year and a half before falling off and relapsing. It was somewhat manageable for quite a while, but like most who fight the acceptance of this being a part of my life now it eventually caught back up with me. The last three months I’ve been drinking well over the excessive amount of 15 drinks per week but daily. After yesterday I’ve had it and I’m quoting. I am prescribed Ativan for panic attacks which I only take as needed. I’m 35 yrs old and other then when I’m excessively drinking I’m extremely healthy. With no other medical problems other then the anxiety and panic attacks. When I was in rehab they tapered me off the alcohol for which took about 4initial days to get past the heavier withdraw symptoms...
My question pertains to me quoting on my own this time. With my work and school schedule I could never go away for 30-90 days without truly losing everything. I’m going to attempted this and need some advice on medication and anything I should do to avoid, well I guess overall dying. I didn’t follow through last time with AA or any other ongoing support groups which I will be devoting myself to this time. Please advice me on the medical things to focus on through this initial detox phase!
Thank you
3/22/2018
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

Hello. Thank you for your patience. I am so sorry for the long wait, but I have been busy taking care of patients and have just now come online. Would you like my help with your question today?

I would really appreciate it...

how much are you drinking per day?

I don’t keep track, but I would say maybe 3-4 liters a week. Good that sounds horrible out loud!

Ok

and so you have ativan right now?

sir when I got sober the first time I started having panic attacks which now just manifests with anxiety. So I do have that prescribed for when they get bad. This app stems from my alcoholism and this time I’ve come to grips with that and I accept that this will need to be a major focus. I’m just nervous about anything happening to me medically in the initial detox phase. I am an over worrier and that doesn’t help my anxiety if you get what I mean.

Yes, you will have withdrawal

DTs will present within the first week

you need to use ativan up to three times a day for withdrawal

Ok I wish to take as little as possible, but was wanting to know what could be too much just Incase it’s bad. Mine are 1mg

I would start with 0.5 mg up to three times a day

more than 3 mg per day total would be a lot

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question).

We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Ok thank you so much doc I really appreciate the help! I have one last question and we should be good. My question is I’m going to have a close friend stay with me for the week to make sure nothing happens, is there particular signs of something going wrong that I need them to look out for?

Yes, if your vital signs start to go out of whack

high blood pressure or heart rate (over 100)

fever

severe tremor or hallucinations

Ok thank you so much you’ve been exactly what I needed! You have a blessed evening!!

welcome :)

good luck!

Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor