Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I've had a sore throat for 6 weeks. It doesn't hurt to

Customer Question
I've had a sore...

I've had a sore throat for 6 weeks. It doesn't hurt to swallow but there is pain in the throat area. My doctor has said he doesn't see any infection. He hasn't done a throat culture. I have had a rapid strep test that came back negative. I'm currently on prednison and allergy medication. None of these medications seems to be working. I have also taken a 10 day dose of amoxicillin. It had little to

Doctor's Assistant: Back (~medical bodypart) How long have you been using amoxicillin? Has it helped at all?

No effect on anything.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you used anything besides amoxicillin for this?

I used amoxicillin march 5-15th.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No, I'm generally very healthy. I do get tonsillitis once or twice a year.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Medical
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I should also add my ears are popping and I have no cold symptoms.
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/22/2018
Doctor: Vakul Aren, Doctor replied 1 month ago
Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor

Hello,I am Dr. Aren,I have over 37 years of clinical experience and I will help with your query.Do you have sinusitis/post nasal drip secondary to sinus and nasal allergy,this will definitely cause the sensation of a sore throat with no active infection or allergy in the throat.This is especially true if you have been a smoker earlier on.The popping ear sensation due to eustachian tube dysfunction can be attributed to chronic sinus congestion secondary to a virasl infection or allergy of the sinuses.Perhaps use of decongestant drops like Otrivin will relieve the sore throat sensation.Use of Fluconazole nasal spray will also help in this condition.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have been on allergy meds for a month with a decongestant. I just started prednisone. My throat is visable red and streaky and my doctor said my tonsilis are swollen. I'm not a smoker. Can a viral infection last this long?

Getting checked for Infectious mononucleosis due to EB virus will help,yes some viral infections can cause such symptoms.

Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor