Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I've had a sore throat for 6 weeks. It doesn't hurt to

Customer Question
I've had a sore...

I've had a sore throat for 6 weeks. It doesn't hurt to swallow but there is pain in the throat area. My doctor has said he doesn't see any infection. He hasn't done a throat culture. I have had a rapid strep test that came back negative. I'm currently on prednison and allergy medication. None of these medications seems to be working. I have also taken a 10 day dose of amoxicillin. It had little to

Doctor's Assistant: Back (~medical bodypart) How long have you been using amoxicillin? Has it helped at all?

No effect on anything.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you used anything besides amoxicillin for this?

I used amoxicillin march 5-15th.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No, I'm generally very healthy. I do get tonsillitis once or twice a year.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Medical
I should also add my ears are popping and I have no cold symptoms.
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/22/2018
Doctor: Vakul Aren, Doctor replied 3 months ago
Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor

Hello,I am Dr. Aren,I have over 37 years of clinical experience and I will help with your query.Do you have sinusitis/post nasal drip secondary to sinus and nasal allergy,this will definitely cause the sensation of a sore throat with no active infection or allergy in the throat.This is especially true if you have been a smoker earlier on.The popping ear sensation due to eustachian tube dysfunction can be attributed to chronic sinus congestion secondary to a virasl infection or allergy of the sinuses.Perhaps use of decongestant drops like Otrivin will relieve the sore throat sensation.Use of Fluconazole nasal spray will also help in this condition.

I have been on allergy meds for a month with a decongestant. I just started prednisone. My throat is visable red and streaky and my doctor said my tonsilis are swollen. I'm not a smoker. Can a viral infection last this long?

Getting checked for Infectious mononucleosis due to EB virus will help,yes some viral infections can cause such symptoms.