Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I want to know how a blood test can detect alcohol use

I want to know how...
I want to know how long a blood test can detect alcohol use
3/22/2018
Dr. A
Dr. A, Board Certified MD

Hi, my name is***** and I will try to assist you today.

Blood alcohol tests are usually used for testing acute alcohol intake.

The rate at which Alcohol is metabolized and removed from the system by the human beings is about 0.15 of blood alcohol concentration per hour. Alcohol can be detected in the blood for up to 12 hours following a person’s last drink. The detection window is dependent upon various parameters such as the amount and strength of alcohol ingested, sex and the individual’s metabolic rate.

Hope that helps.

Dr. A
Dr. A, Board Certified MD
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No, they will be testing for biomarkers not just alcohol. They do a ECG in urine but I am not sure what they test for in blood, or how long the biomarkers will show up. Could you help me with that

EtG is the most common direct biomarker in the blood.

EtG is a minor, nonoxidative, water-soluble, stable, and direct metabolite of alcohol that is formed by the conjugation of ethanol with activated glucoronic acid. Shortly after alcohol intake, even in small amounts, EtG becomes positive. After complete cessation of alcohol intake, EtG can be detected in urine for up to 5 days after heavy binge drinking, making EtG an important biomarker of recent alcohol consumption.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No, this will be a blood test. Not urine

There are also indirect markers that suggest heavy alcohol use by detecting the toxic effects that alcohol may have had on organ systems or body chemistry.

One indirect marker is CDT. Alcohol consumption above 50-80 g/d for 2-3 weeks appears to increase serum concentrations of CDT.

Oh I see.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
that is what Im speaking of. I had one bottle of wine 5 days ago and have not drank since. How long will I test positive on the CDT test?

A bottle of wine is about 70 g. If you had it five days ago and that's it, it probably won't show up. CDT is mostly positive for heavy chronic drinkers.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are there other blood biomarkers other than CDT that are tested for by blood?

There are others. GGT, AST, and MCV are other indirect biomarkers. They also are positive in heavy chronic drinkers.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
But not 1 time users. That is my concern, as I don't drink often I'm worried about the test coming up positive after a week. But you say no, that it shouldn't correct?

Correct, those markers should not come up positive after one drink 5 days ago. They are for long term chronic users.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for your help

My pleasure.

Dr. A
Dr. A
Dr. A, Board Certified MD