Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Can someone help me some with some definitions and questions…

Can someone help me some...
Can someone help me some with some definitions and questions about dizziness in a clinical way?
1. Define : Disequilibrium, Presyncope, Unspecific/Lightheadness
2. Define Vertigo;
3. Vestibular and Non-Vestibular (How to differentiate)
4. Define Perifer and Central Vertigo
5. How to differ Periferand Central Vertigo
6. What is the cause and the diagnoses of the Perifer and Central Vertigo?
Might have some follow up questions
3/22/2018
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD

Hello my name is***** am a board-certified physician with over 15 years of clinical experience and I am happy to help you. Please give me a few moments and I will compose the answers to your list of questions.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sure! I will be waiting.

I'm sorry, but I've been called away for a patient. I'll opt out and allow someone else to answer you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sure.. Please do.. I need it as fast as I could because it is needed for homework
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Need more info as well on the cause of each types and where it is located (example: cerebrium of the brain or maybe somewhere else).
Dr. Greg
Dr. Greg, Board Certified MD

Hello, My name is***** I am a board certified physician, and would be happy to help you with your health questions today. Please give me a moment to read and respond to your questions.

Disequilibrium - a condition in which a patient feels off balance. There are several potential causes, such as a cerebellar stroke, alcohol intoxication, vitamin B12 deficiency.

Presyncope - feeling of severe lightheadedness in which a patient almost faints, but does not lose consciousness.

Lightheadness - mild feeling of dizziness, which does not reach the point of presyncope. Usually caused by dehydration, low blood pressure, anemia, medications, severe infection, etc.

Vertigo - a condition in which a person feels like the room is spinning and/or like they are moving even though they are still. This condition can be divided into 2 categories. (1)Peripheral vertigo, which is caused by an inner ear problem. The patient will usually have nausea and dizziness that worsens with turning/tilting of the head in a particular direction. (2)Central vertigo is caused by a stroke, brain tumor, or brain injury. Nausea is rare, and the dizziness persists no matter what position the head is in. A patient may also have weakness on one side of the body, as is typical for someone with a stroke.

Vertigo caused by the vestibular apparatus (inner ear) is usually caused by infection, or stones can form in the vestibular apparatus which can cause vertigo. Non-vestibular vertigo is usually caused by the brain, or by pressure in the middle ear which affects the inner ear.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you and sorry for the thread before because there is some problem with the technical issues that I had to recreate another thread. I will be back tomorrow morning with questions because the one who needs it is my girlfriend who lives in Indonesia as a MedStudent. I am very thankful for your current explaination right now.

You're welcome. I'm glad that I could be of assistance. Please feel free to rate my service. Have a good night.

Dr. Greg
Dr. Greg, Board Certified MD
Dr. Greg
Dr. Greg
Dr. Greg, Board Certified MD