Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Is there an orthopedic available. Just wanted an opinion on…

Is there an orthopedic...

Is there an orthopedic available

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

Just wanted an opinion on mri results. i'm an arnp

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Have RA, curious if MRI needs 2nd opinion reading

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Have Rheumatoid, just started Cimzia about 2 months ago. Also have history of left knee pain following kickboxing. MRI reads "soft tissue edema with swelling around knee especially anteriorly and both lateral and medial aspect but no evidence of underling bone fracture or abnormal bone marrow singnal and no evidence of joint effusion. Cruciate ligaments and menisci appear intact except that there is a suggested intrasubstance tear of the anterior horn of lateral meniscus did not reach the articular surface. quad tendon and infrapatellar tendon appear intact. popliteal fossa unreamarkable and no evidence of baker cyst. pateller retinaculum medially and laterally appear intact. Lateral and medical collateral ligament appear intact. Neurovascular bundles appear normal. Impression soft tissue edema overling left knee. No marked changes to suggest OA or RA. Suggested intrasusbtance year of anterior horn of lateral meniscus.Question is, injury vs RA.
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/22/2018
Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Doctor
Thanks for your question.
I am Dr. Sawhney an Orthopaedic surgeon and I would be happy to help you today.
I am reviewing your question and would respond shortly.
There is nothing in the MRI to suggest changes due to rheumatoid arthritis.
The changes are suggestive of an injury.
You do not require a second opinion for MRI.
Feel free to ask any follow up questions.
Do take a moment to honour my work and time by rating my answer hopefully 5 stars
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do you think PT would be ok or seek ortho opinion first.
There is not much an Orthopedic surgeon can do for the soft tissue edema around the knee except prescribe nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
It would be fine to start Physiotherapy without an orthopedic opinion.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
this is basically a mild partial tear and could improve with just PT alone (perhaps swimming also) and not to reflect Cimiza optimal response based on my knee.
The intrasubstance tear of anterior horn of medial meniscus mentioned in MRI is most likely to be result of degenerative changes.
It does not require any active Orthopaedic intervention like arthroscopy and is also not likely to be due to rheumatoid.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You mentioned likely related to injury above. I'm only 33 and recall incident where I felt knee pain after kickboxing. If so, will PT help compared to degen change as lastly mentioned? Need to know if PT is worthwhile pursuing. Thanks for your time.
I meant the soft tissue edema is likely to be due to injury.
The intrasubstance tear of meniscus is commonly due to degenerative changes but considering your young age injury sustained while kickboxing may possibly be causative.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Didn't mean to hit call me
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks for your time
Please ignore the phone call request.
It is an automated message from the website.
I would not be calling you.
Do remember to rate my answer positively as this is the only way we get assessed and credited for our work and time on this website.
Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Doctor
Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Doctor