Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I’m currently traveling in Thailand and have what started as…

Customer Question
Hi, I’m currently traveling...

Hi, I’m currently traveling in Thailand and have what started as a bit of athletes foot fungal infection (stubborn symptoms that have recurred a few times including blisters) a few of the blisters opened (and I lanced a couple with hypodermic needle) yesterday morning. The site has since become incredibly painful and sensitive to touch, do you think this means it has a secondary bacterial infection now too? I was attempting to keep the area sterile but it is difficult in my current environment. I have some recently expire doxycycline hyclate 100mg with me (10/12/17), I am allergic to penicillin and can’t take that.Should I just start taking the doxy or try to see a doctor here?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you used Doxy or anything similar before?

Yes, I used it when I had a stubborn staph in my underarms

Doctor's Assistant: Have you used anything besides Doxy for this?

No antibiotics, I just started a topical antifungal last night and had been using tee tree oil before that

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I’m in Thailand competitively fighting Muay Thai so I would like to resolve this properly and as quickly as I can.

Submitted: 28 days ago.Category: Medical
3/21/2018
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 28 days ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

doxycycline will not help a food fungal infection

you need antifungal foot spray or powders to keep your feet dry and socks dry to fight athelete's foot fungal infection.

you may be able to find these over the counter antifungal powders and sprays in Thailand in the larger cities in the drug stores.

you need to use these powders and sprays 3-4 times a day to keep your feet dry

wear dry and new clean socks daily and dry shoes as well

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I am using anti-fungal cream. I need to know if the severe pain indicates there is also a bacterial infection now too

antifungal creams add more moisture often in the foot area

that is why antifungal powders and sprays work better in the foot

if you add on baby powder along with antifungal creams, this could help keep the foot area dry

I bet that will help more than starting to take an antibiotic

would you like to upload a photo of your foot?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
It’s so painful I can’t walk on it. I am a professional fighter and get hit for a living so pain is usually not a big deal, this is very severe
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I’ll upload a picture
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Attached

thank you for the photo

that does look painful

it doesn't look infected by a bacteria infection

you can take the doxycycline

but I bet you will still have pain

you should use powder on the area and find some antifungal powder and sprays to use on your foot 4 times a day

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Is there anything I can do to mitigate the pain or speed the healing?

baby powder or antifungal powder on the area 3-4 times a day

dry clean socks daily

dry shoes

Family Physician, Doctor