Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I’m coming off a really hard it to of drinking. I’m a very…

I’m coming off a...

I’m coming off a really hard it to of drinking. I’m a very heavy drinker and trying to work on that but fell off last night. I have anxiety and panic attacks and have xanex for that. I ate plenty last night but feel heavy withdraws right now. I took one of my .5 mg of xanex hoping it’ll calm me down. Is there anything else I can do? And I gonna be ok?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been using Xanax? Has it helped at all?

I have it to take as needed I don’t take everyday: it works for the panic attacks normally calms me down and the. I nap. Doesn’t feel like it’s helping right now but sometimes it makes symptoms worse a little before better

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about panic attacks?

Yes

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

That’s how I was prescribed this

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/21/2018
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

There are limited interventions that can be done at home to help with this situation. Certainly, drinking plenty of fluids and eating a healthy diet is important, although it does little to directly decrease withdrawal symptoms. Taking a B complex vitamin supplement can help with some specific vitamins that can be affected by drinking, such as thiamine and folic acid.

However, there is no medicine that is available over the counter that work better than the Xanax. If there are significant withdrawal symptoms despite the Xanax and the above interventions, then it would be appropriate to be seen.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

K thx

You are welcome.

If we are done, please provide a positive rating so that i am credited for assisting you.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Ok