Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have a question regarding HPV. Can you help me? I'm 43.

Hi. I have a...

Hi. I have a question regarding HPV. Can you help me?

Doctor's Assistant: How old are you? What symptoms are you having?

I'm 43. Several years ago, I experienced abnormal pap smears. They have all been normal for many years now. Recently, I noticed a "spot" on my genital area.

Doctor's Assistant: When was your last pap test or pelvic exam? Any irregular results from past exams?

My last Pap was in 2015 due to new insurance rules. I'm due one this year.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

As I said before, I have had irregular Paps in the past, but not for many years. I'm not currently sexually active, and haven't been for 18 mths.

3/21/2018
Connie Pennington

Hello, I am Dr. Pennington. I would like to assist you. I am a surgeon.

How long has the spot been there and what does it look like?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I noticed it last week sometime. I thought it might be an ingrown hair, but after further examination, it doesn't look like a bump. It is just a flat, smooth spot the same color as the skin already there mostly.

OK. Well you could take a picture of it and send it. I will look. (if you do not want to that is fine)

A wart usually has a white, cauliflower like surface. They can grown fast.

Genital warts are caused by HPV and are contagious.

How else may I help you?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I could do that, but honestly, it might be hard to do because of the location.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I may be delayed in my responses as I am back from my lunch break now. I apologize.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I've read enough on this subject to be dangerous, and also terrify myself. I read warts are usually white, bumpy, and like cauliflower. I also read they can be flat and smooth too? I've had normal Paps for several years now. I'm not sexually active right now, and haven't been for 18 mths.

I would keep a close eye on it. If it changes, bleeds, or grows seek medical attention, otherwise just watch it.

They next time you see your GYN as them to check it out. Try not to worry to much. They are super easy to remove if need be.

I do recommend yearly PAP's and check ups, despite the latest recommendations.

Good luck!

We work for stars, so please rate this question if you found it fast and helpful. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I would just go and have it looked at, but the small town stigma has me freaking out a little. How soon can a wart go away on it's own?

Well, it usually does not, without a little help.

You could have a physician remove it (call it a mole) and see if it is even a wart.

You can treat warts with various things to dissolve them. Podophyllum works well, as does bichloracetic acid.

You can obtain them at most pharmacies and give it a try. Be careful if you have sensitive skin, and it is located somewhere difficult to treat.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I do have sensitive skin. Should I expect for the skin to change with application of either of those two items regardless of what the bump is, or only if it is a wart?

Well, if it is a wart, it will fall off with minor irritation. If it is a mole, it will get totally irritated and probably not fall off.

Best to have someone look at it, but it would not hurt to try to treat it. It is much faster to have it removed by a physician.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I wonder if it could be psoriasis too, since I have that. It doesn't look like a mole to me. It really isn't raised at all. You can barely feel it when you run your finger over it.

OK, probably is not anything to worry about. You can just keep an eye on it for a few weeks. It it is anything of note, it will change.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Perfect : ) Thank you!

You are welcome. 5 Star it if this was ok, so I will receive credit. Thank you!

Connie Pennington
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
11088;⭐⭐⭐⭐
Connie Pennington
Connie Pennington
Connie Pennington