Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have had abdominal pains since end Dec 2017 - these are…

hello - I have had...
hello - I have had abdominal pains since end Dec 2017 - these are sharp localised pains ( pain level 3 or 4) - in about 4 or 5 locations in small intestine. I have had full blood test in January and nothing was found - and no infection or inflammation markers. I also had urine microscopy test which also showed nothing. I also had full blood tests again in Feb. - and nothing was foundI am still having these pains and think that acidic foods can cause a reaction. I had no symptoms or gastro probelms before this. No medical problems at all prior to this.I strongly believe that this was caused by a 'diluted' chemical (some sort of acidic garage / household chemical probably - NOT drug) substance, which was maliciously put into my drink at Christmas by person known to me ( this is a complex and long subject to go into - but I do have very good reason to believe that this was done). I was not sick at the time but had swollen tummy and diarrhoea ( not now too much).Can you advise on what further testing i may require. Do you have advise/ information about the effects on small intestine of a caustic substance at a very diluted level.
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/21/2018
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Consultant with over 13 years of experience and I will do my best to help you today.
Let me review your question for a minute and I will get back to you.

Though this is reassuring that your basic tests (blood and urine) are normal, but for ongoing abdominal pain you clearly need further investigation.

First, a non-invasive test like an ultrasound of abdomen, and if this is negative (no stones in renal tract or gall bladder or bile duct etc), then an endoscopy should be planned.

Any poisonous substance can affect stomach and small intestine but usually the effects are transient, not prolonged.

Prolonged symptoms beyond few weeks means there is some complication related to the chemical, like some times the ingestion of caustic substances can result in strictures (narrowing of intestine) and this can cause continuous pain.

Therefore, you need further evaluation. Imaging (like ultrasound/CT) followed by a scope (if indicated).

Was it helpful?

Good luck and my sincere wishes for your good health.

Please do not forget to Click and Give 5 Star Rating (at the top of screen) to my service as this is the only way I get credit for my time and expertise on your question.
If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindest Regards.

Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
hello -many thanks for your response - very appropriate . I shall go back to my (UK) GP centre and discuss further testing
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
hello Dr Sohaib - i just wanted to add that the tummy pains as indicated above where followed by what feels like / felt like - nerve pain in arms and legs - about hour n half after eating. do you think this additional symptoms indicate a particular problem Also when the pains were worse during Jan & Feb I found information online about Leaky gut - do you think this is a possibility?

The symptoms you have mentioned are non-specific, and there are many possibilities for this. So, No, at this point embarking upon any specific diagnosis is difficult before you get further evaluation as I mentioned before.

Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor