Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have 6 tablets of 500 mg zertalin and took the first two…

I have 6 tablets...

I have 6 tablets of 500 mg zertalin and took the first two tablets today for a sinus infection. I just realized that they are 500 mg tablets and not 250 mg tablets. So I took 1000 mg today. Is this a problem and what would you recommend to complete the regimen. Thanks

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

Only a statin and a baby aspirin.

3/21/2018
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon

Hello -

Was this a prescription you got in the USA?

Did your doctor prescribe a specific amount of days you were supposed to take this medication?

It should not be a big problem, as one of the ways to treat different infections is to take 1000mg the first day. So the medication itself is well tolerated at that dose you took.

However, to complete the regimen, depends on what your doctor is treating. Many times they will just take one pill each on day 2,3,4 and 5 to complete the dose.

The dose for bacterial sinus infections is for 3 days, in general.

The dose for pharyngitis (Strep throat) would be to finish with 250mg on day 2,3,4,and 5.

So, it depends on the condition treated.

It is for sinus infection. Is it ok to take 500 mg for the next few days even though the dosage is usually 250 mg?

For sinus infection, the accepted usual dose is 500mg on day 2, and 500mg on day 3, then stop.

Of course, follow the specific instructions from your doctor, as the actual doses can change based on your weight, etc.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon
Thanks, ***** ***** the 5 star rating. So I should just throw out the remaining 2 pills when I am done with the three day treatment. Is there any downside if I do a 5 day treatment to finish the 6 pills and assure that the infection is gone?
That is, I gave you the 5 stars...

There probably is not too much of a downside, except that prolonged antibiotics could disrupt your normal bacteria in your gut, and cause diarrhea.

If the infection does not clear with the three pills -- it is unlikely that the extra two pills are going to make a difference.

Ok, already got the diarrhea and have to take two flights today. Thanks for your help.

Best of luck.

Thanks