Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Ringing in both of my ears after colonoscopy and endoscopy…

Ringing in both of my...
Ringing in both of my ears after colonoscopy and endoscopy procedure. Cannot have good sleep at night and some times the ringing is very high.what is the relief to get rid of ringing?
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/21/2018
Dr. A
Dr. A, Board Certified MD

Hello, my name is***** am an ear, nose and throat physician and I will be assisting you today.

Sometimes the medications they give you during the procedures can cause tinnitus/ringing in the ears.

Is the ringing on both sides? Is it pulsatile? Any pain? Any hearing loss?

Hello doctor
I checked for my ear with ENT specialist there is no wax accumulation, also they did audio test for loss of hearing, but there is no loss of hearing.
VNG test is done which showed 20% deviation on left side ear.

OK. Are you hearing the ringing in both ears?

Ringing started slowly after I had endoscopy and colonoscopy procedure...but not sure this is related or not.Ringing in both ears.
I also got diagnosed with non working gallbladder with gallstones and gastritis with barrets esophagus.
I also get dizziness.

I am sorry you are going through this. Tinnitus is a difficult thing to treat, but when it is on both sides it is not concerning for anything pathologic (ie tumor or anything like that).

Distraction techniques with things like white noise machines in quiet environments are usually the first step for tinnitus. After that, there are some medications but there isn't too much evidence behind them. Things like lipoflavinoids and gingko biloba. Benzodiazepines have been shown to be effective sometimes too.

There are several apps on your smart phones that can help with distracting you from your tinnitus. There is also tinnitus retraining therapy which is a type of therapy where they teach you to cope with the tinnitus. Sometimes the tinnitus will disappear on its own though. I hope this is helpful.

But any reason why this started all of sudden? For long time I was suffering with bloating, burping with indigestion problems .
It's been almost 5 months now since it started.
Also, does colonoscopy and endoscopy procedure causes ringing as they gave general anesthesia?

I think this is definitely unrelated to your gallbladder and gastrointestinal issues. It may be related to some of the medications that they use to sedate you for the procedures.

Ok..if sedate medicine caused it, then there is no way we can get rid of it?

Usually it is a transient effect, but unfortunately, since it has lasted for 5 months this may not go away.

Ok..so have to be life long with this issue ? And I'm only 37 years old.

It may diminish in severity. In addition, you may be able to ignore it over time. I have tinnitus myself and I have found ways to distract myself from hearing it.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I would greatly appreciate it if you could give me a 5-star rating. We can continue to speak even after you rate if you would like. Thanks!

Ok...and dizziness is anyway related to tinnitus?

If you are having a room-spinning sensation, that can be related to the tinnitus. Dizziness/lightheadedness is usually unrelated. They also have balance therapy that can help with both.

Ok...thank you for answering.
I can try these medication to see if it helps ?
lipoflavinoids and gingko biloba. Benzodiazepin.

Lipoflavinoids and gingko biloba are over the counter and you can try on your own. Benzodiazepines you will need a prescription and can have side effects, so try the first two medications first.

Sure..thank you.

My pleasure. Please do not forget to rate by clicking on the stars at the top of the page. Thanks!

Dr. A
Dr. A, Board Certified MD
Sure thank you