Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Had one BTL treatment for face/eyes one week ago. Now have a…

Had one BTL treatment...

Had one BTL treatment for face/eyes one week ago. Now have a rash under one eye. It is slightly itchy with small red bumps. Using 1% hyrocotisone.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this issue? Any other skin concerns?

It’s been 6days since

3/21/2018
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

how old are you?

can you upload a photo of this rash under one eye?

do you see the "Add file" link?

I am 52yo
I will send now

that looks like a bit of eczema on the cheek or rosacea possibly

try the 1% hydrocortisone cream and moisturizers twice a day

and see if it gets better.

Would eczema or rosacea erupt suddenly after a treatment?
Also- there seems to be no improvement since 6days ago- why?
The BTL was a laser treatment, not sure if I specified.
Thx

eczema could yes.

the skin could be more sensitive there, to wind or sun or cold air and be more reactive in that area which is common.

you use the BTL treatment for this redness? did you have this redness right after you had the BTL therapy? what do you mean by 6 days ago?

The BTL treatment was done 6 days ago. It’s a skin tightening (ultrasound/radio frequency) treatment. My eyes were completely fine 6days ago. I asked before/during/after the Tx if there would be any after effects. I was told none- just redness that goes away in a few hours. Right after, it looked as if I had a sunburn with no pain. The redness abated after a few hours but the eye rash remained. I called 2 days later expecting it to go away- and was then told “it could happen” and to use the cortisone. Here I am now 6 days later with the same rash.
no I did not receive the treatment to “treat” anything - I had nothing prior.

I see.

some people can take longer to heal from BTL than others.

if the cortisone is not helping, I would not continue to use it

if it is helping, I would continue it one more week

you eating more protein and more fruits and vegetables and cutting out sugars, carbohydrates, white flour, gluten, bread in your diet could help your skin heal

our skins heal from the inside layer out.

Interesting that you should say that- I am presently on a low-no carb weight program and have already lost 20lbs. So yes, I am well aware of this :)
Taking longer to heal seems fair but I’m traveling next week and will be exposed to the sun- obviously I’m using sunblock but I’m still concerned.
From what you know about BTL- is this normal?

yes, this can be normal.

I would give it another week or so.

keep up the healthy diet and work in exercise and eating more protein

make sure you drink plenty of water and fluids.

do bring that sunscreen and a good hat.

your skin will be fine.

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 Stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up or down see the ratings area)
You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician