Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am taking Lyrica 75mg 2 a day for headaches which does not…

I am taking Lyrica...

I am taking Lyrica 75mg 2 a day for headaches which does not help, I want to stop please advise.

Doctor's Assistant: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?

Daily no nausea

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I am on follow up for carotid blockage every 6 months I don't think the problem is actual headaches more like pain nagging coming from upper right gum area

3/21/2018
Connie Pennington

Good morning. I am Dr. Pennington.

It is safe to stop Lyrica if you feel it is not helping.

What else have you tried for headaches?

Hi Doctor is there a timetable for stopping Lyrica. I have been on Saroten previously, I think the problem is emanating from my top right hand gum area, but It cant be teeth related had them all removed years ago, the pain aching could it be managed by something like parcoten.

If you like you can wean off Lyrica over 3-5 days. In some cases chronic Lyrica use can lead to tolerance or physical dependence. If you use multiple medications--do not stop them all at once.

How long have you taken Lyrica?

approx. 6 months

And the Saroten?

Any other meds?

Current meds are Lipitor, Zanedip, Zestril, Fludex, Betalok Zok, Plavix and aspirin. Had Heart bypass about 7 years ago and AAA repair. The meds are all maint medicine. No saroten since last year.

Awesome. You should be fine to stop the Lyrica. Continue your maintenance medications.

Have you seen a dentist about the gum area pain?

Good luck to you, and we work only for stars, so please rate this question if it was helpful. Thank you.

Ok I will see a Dentist what can you recommend for daily pain relief, can I take Soldapeine or Parcoten or similar, your right my ops were awesome bypass followed by AAA 4 months later, please advise on pain killer.

Parcoten should work well. It has a little codeine in it, which is known to assist with headaches. We always try to address the underlying problem when possible, so do see a dentist.

Is there anything else I can assist you with?

Connie Pennington
No Doctor thanks for your help.

Good luck to you!