Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My son keeps getting a build up of pressure in his ears, he…

Hi my son keeps...

Hi my son keeps getting a build up of pressure in his ears, he pops them then bad pain in his ears feels like a build up of pressure again , hurts when he talks and feels like a needle is piercing his ear. I have given him nuerofen and panafol. I don’t know what else to help with the pain.

Doctor's Assistant: When did the pain begin? Have your son and his pops used any medication for it?

He is 8 years old and been going on for a few years now. It comes and goes all the time. Today he popped them on the bus and started to sting about 5

Doctor's Assistant: Has he seen a doctor about the pain?

No I haven’t been able to get him to a doctor when he is experiencing the pain

3/21/2018
Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Board Certified MD

Hi...Welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr. Sumanth Amperayani and I am here to help you today. I have 13 years of experience in the field of Pediatrics at a tertiary care referral hospital in Chennai, India. I will do my level best to alleviate your health concern. I am currently reviewing your question. I will be back in a moment to guide you further.

Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani

Okay thank you
The pain still like a needle is going through both ears
He has had a hearing test over 12 months again and that was all fine.
Hi.... I understand your concern.
This is a very common problem between 5 years to 13 years of age in certain kids.
This occurs mainly due to eustachian catarrh or recurrent blockade of the eustachian tube.This can occur with many reasons like common cold, recurrent respiratory infections or pharyngitis.When these occur, the eustachian tube's pharyngeal opening gets blocked and the air in the middle ear cavity gets sucked in, because of this they feel the discomfort and the popping sensation which they experience is, when the eustachian tube opens up again with pain.Plugging of ears is not going to help as the problem is happening internally and not from the external ear canal.There are two things which can prevent this recurrence -1. Constant chewing moments like a chewing gum which will cleanse the teeth and oral cavity and also helps in keeping the internal opening of the eustachian tube patent.2. Conscious forceful swallowing moments.3. Third option is a medicated option for which you will require doctor's prescription. Medicated nasal drops called oxymetazoline drops, One drop in each nostril, 3 times a day for 3 days when the symptoms are very severe and recurrent.You need to put one drop in each nostril and tilt the head to the same side and stay put like that for 3 to 5 minutes and then repeat the same manouvre in the other nostril." I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (this is the only way we professionals get credited for our time and professional effort). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.A bonus is highly appreciated....Thank you!".If you are happy with my interaction and guidance, next time if you have any health concern, you can approach me directly at the following link please -https://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drsumanth/?rpt=3800Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani
Thank you
Is there any other pain medication I can give him

Hi...Ibuprofen works just well and is the best for this pain please.

Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Board Certified MD
Thank you
Will he grow out of it

Exactly, he will grow out of it as the pharyngeal musculature and the Eustachian tubes expand as he grows.