Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am having bouts of burping and hick ups, No mylanta and…

I am having long...

I am having long bouts of burping and hick ups

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

No mylanta and sertra

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I am going thru a relationship breakdown and have been drinking a lot of alcohol

3/21/2018
Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)

Greetings,
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. Su S
I will try my best to help you.
I will answer in a moment/request for further information.

How old are you? Male/ Female?
Since when are you having the symptom?
Do you have any other symptom?
Any other past illness?
Did you consult doctor or have any test?
Did you take any medicine for it?

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
I am 57 symptoms have been coming and going for two weeks becoming more frequently.no other symptoms or illnesses.i have an appointment next Monday have not taken any medication

Thank you for the input.
I am very sorry for your symptoms.
Burping can be from a few causes.
Acid reflux, food, H Pylori infection, GERD etc. can cause it.
You are taking Mylanta.
Zantac or ranitidine can be added.
Hiccup usually occurs from involuntary contraction of diaphragm.
The exact cause of irritation is not known.
Hiccup usually disappears on its own.
Sometimes medicine can be required.
There are several home remedies which you can try at home if you have not done yet.
These are -
You can hold breath for a while as much as you can and then repeat the procedure.
Drinking a glass of cold water quickly or chewing ice can help.
Pulling the tongue out as much as you can.
You can place half teaspoonful of dry sugar on the back of tongue.
Take food less in amount.
Avoid spicy food, carbonated drinks

Please try to avoid alcohol too.

It can irritate stomach.
Different drugs are used like metoclopramide, chlorpromazine, baclofen, phenytoin, haloperidol, valproic acid, carbamazepam and phenobarbital etc.
Metoclopromide is a good option.
I hope this information will be helpful.
If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
Your satisfaction is my goal.
If you are happy with my answer please click on 5 star rating so that I can get the credit for helping you.
Wish you healthy life.
Regards.

Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)
Dr Su S
Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)