Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have been having hypertension (averaging 167/95 during the…

Customer Question
I have been having...

I have been having hypertension (averaging 167/95 during the weekend.) I went to my physician’s nurse practitioner yesterday and she added a diuretic to my toprol xl , losartan and verapamil. I take the verapamil 2 times a day. My bp has been ruining in the 130s over 70s today. I took my evening verapamil and then checked by bp. It was 127/70. Do I need to worry about my bp going too low during the night? Should I try to stay awake? Please advise.. Btw, I am a 74 yo female retired PharmD but don’t know the answer to this one.

Doctor's Assistant: When was last time you had a check up? Have you been feeling dizzy or lightheaded?

No. I see my doctor about every 4 months. I am also a type 1+ diabetic(my md’s term) and take long and short acting insulin.and check my BS probably 6-7 x/day. I am 5’9” and weigh about 154lbs.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I had an ERCP last summer during which they placed stents in my pancreas and gallbladder. The ERCP caused me to have to go to ER that night with pancreatitis that was caused by the ERCP. That’s about it. I’ve also had two very invasive back surgeries and take Percocet for my pain which never has been an issue(the Percocet.)Don’t you think that’s enough?

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Medical
3/21/2018
Doctor: Dr Su S, Doctor(MD) replied 3 months ago
Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)

Greetings,
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. Su S
I will try my best to help you.
I will answer in a moment/request for further information.

Please wait, I am writing your answer.

Thank you

Thank you for waiting.
I am very sorry for your symptoms.
I understand your anxiety.
Your BP is quite good now.
Even if it goes down it will not go very low.
Low blood pressure or hypotension occurs when BP goes below 90/60.
Please do not worry.
I hope this information will be helpful.
If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
Your satisfaction is my goal.
If you are happy with my answer please click on 5 star rating so that I can get the credit for helping you.
Wish you healthy life.
Regards.

The verapamil has been the one that lowers it a lot. What is the reason it won’t go that low?

Because it can lower by 5 or 10.
That is not dangerous.

The verapamil usually lowers it by 30 on top and 20 on the bottom. So is the 5 or 10 still applicable?

Even then it would not cause hypotension.

Thank you very much!

You are always welcome.
Thank you for allowing me to assist you.
If you are happy with my answers please do not forget to leave a 5 star rating before signing out.
Without positive rating I will not get the credit for helping you today.
You can ask question on the topic after rating.
Wish you healthy life.
Warm Regards.