Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I'm on oxygen 24/7 and periodically the inside of my nose…

Customer Question
I'm on oxygen 24/7...

I'm on oxygen 24/7 and periodically the inside of my nose burns. Is there something I can do to stop this?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Are you having any breathing problems?

It is not constant, just happens periodically and it is annoying. Nothing serious enough to go to the Pulmonolgist.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have been diagnosed with COPD emphesema and have been on 4.5 liters of oxygen for 8 yrs.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Medical
3/21/2018
Doctor: Dr. A, Board Certified MD replied 1 month ago
Dr. A
Dr. A, Board Certified MD

Hi, my name is***** am an ENT physician and I will be assisting you today.

We see this very commonly in patients on oxygen via nasal cannula.

The burning sensation is mostly likely because the air going through the nasal cannula causes a lot of dryness within your nose. This can cause burning and often nasal bleeding.

The best things to do for this are to apply vaseline into your nostril 2-3 times per day. You should also use nasal saline spray 3-5 times daily in your nose. This will really help to moisturize your nose and hopefully prevent the bleeding. Hope that helps.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I would greatly appreciate it if you could give me a 5-star rating. We can continue to speak even after you rate if you would like. Thanks!

Dr. A
Dr. A
Dr. A, Board Certified MD