Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have been taking tramadol 100mg every 6 hours since

January. I have been taking...
I have been taking tramadol 100mg every 6 hours since January. I have been taking the medication at least every day. I have ran out of the medication and not sure my doctor will refill my prescription. How bad will my withdrawal be? I am not sure what to do. *started on the medication for back injury* still have mild pain. I have suffered depression an anxiety my whole life. I hav tried so many medications and never had any luck but the Tramadol seemed to treat both the symptoms. I know this is not okay because that’s not what it was made for. So I find myself struggling with what to do. I know I need to just get off the tramadol. But how?
3/21/2018
Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. I looking forward to assisting you with your question and providing excellent service. You are already out of tramadol.
Tramadol has a relatively short half-life. WHO reports that immediate-release forms of tramadol products are quickly absorbed into the bloodstream, with their effectiveness peaking in 1-4 hours. The effects of extended-release tramadol products may last a little longer, peaking in 4-6 hours.In general, opioid withdrawal symptoms are thought to start within about 12 hours of the last dose. The DEA publishes that 90 percent of people experiencing tramadol withdrawal suffer traditional opioid withdrawal symptoms while the other 10 percent may experience severe confusion, extreme paranoia, anxiety, panic attacks, hallucinations, and tingling or numbness in their extremities.
Thank you for your answer. I know there is no way to really no for sure but how long should I expect to have symptoms? I mean if I can make it through when will the worst be over?
3 days is the worst phase of it
Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD